Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rally question

I want to try out rally competition. When an all breed club offers rally and its not your breed, can any breed of dog enter? I see a few shows with rally in the upcoming months but some are offered by breed clubs and I didn't know if my lab would be allowed to enter

Re: Rally question

Carefully read the premium list in it's entirety. Many people enter shows and often do not read the fine print. Then they are disappointed when they miss an early closing or don't get a special prize.
As a rule an all breed conformation or obedience club will always have all breed events. A breed specialty club may offer events to all breeds but rarely will. It often depends on the money and helper situation for that club. You must read the fine print.

The LRC Piedmont Club are having indoor back to back Rally Trials for Labs only in conjunction with our back to back specialties/obedience trials in February 2008 in Charlotte, NC. We'd love to have you join us.

If you'd like any further info, email me privately.

Rita

Thanks, for example I looked on info dog and found this event in my area http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2008110703.HTM

Its offered by the spaniel club, I guess my best bet would be to just contact each individual club if its a breed club to see if its open to all breeds?

Also, I cannot find out what kind of collar or leads are or are not permitted... didnt see it in the rule book from the AKC but I know some colors are not permitted.

Re: Re: Rally question

Yes, read the premium, or go on the AKC site and it will clearly state if the OB and/or Rally trial is all breed or single breed.

Collars....they can be ANY color. You can use any standard collar, buckle/quick release, and I believe you can use a chain collar too. We always have.

Basically the only collar you should wear is either a regular chain collar, or flat buckle or snap collar. I'm not sure about the nylon martingale type collars that some people use. It MUST be a separate collar and leash that fastens on (no one piece show lead/collar combos). I once entered a "poodle specialty" by mistake.It was earlier in my show career and I didn't even realize that it was a specialty - just thought the club was sponsering a show. Luckily the show secretary informed me early enough for me to go through infodog and get my entry fees back.

Here us a very good yahoo group that covers everything "rally".

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/

Remember that you have to remove any ID tags or identification from whatever collar you use. Choke chains are OK too...basically any collar accepted by the AKC can be used. enjoy it...rally is fun!

If you haven't already, be sure to order or download the AKC Obedience/Rally regulations, which explain many of the procedures, such as collars required.

Also, after January 1, 2008, I believe the Rally regulations are going to change, and there is a link at the AKC website which lists the proposed changes. If you getthe AKC gazette, the changes were listed last May or June. (Not sure what country you're in--Canada also has Rally, and also their own rules and regulations).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cathy M.