Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A First Time Mom Who Won't Settle

Any suggestions for a first time mom who won't settle into motherhood? She carries them around alot, constantly licking them and cleaning them past the point of being necessary and then when they get out of her reach from all the tossing around, she whines and worries even more. What would you do to help her get comfortable and relaxed? Are there any meds or food that would hurry her along to enjoying her babies?

Re: A First Time Mom Who Won't Settle

Give her calcium!

Re: Re: A First Time Mom Who Won't Settle

Just don't leave her alone with the puppies. Her motherly instinct should kick in around three days. I had a tragic accident when I left the room for just a few minutes. If you leave, take her with you. If it continues for more than a few days, she may be having post partum depression and the vet needs to be in on it. Good luck Ellie

Re: Re: Re: A First Time Mom Who Won't Settle

Probably has a touch of eclampsia--make sure she gets plenty of calcium and make sure she is getting plenty of protein.

Tums and time. I've had this with experienced moms. Both of them would start whining while nursing, and I thought they were in pain. Then I realized they were whining because one of the pups was too far away for her liking. So when I move the pup back, voila, whining stops. Another suggestion - if the pups are sleeping scattered around the whelping box, remove the heat lamp or lower the heat in the room so they pile up. She'll feel better if they are all in one place, and she's less likely to step on one or lie down on one.

Thanks for the advice. Will give your suggestions a try.

How much calcium and in what form?

I've also had this recently with an experienced mom. It wasn't a calcium issue or any other medical concern. How old are her puppies? If they're only a day or two old, give her some time. Mine did this for probably 4-5 days before she finally settled down. Is your girl settling at all or is this behavior constant? My girl would be OK while napping or once she'd been in the box for awhile, but take her outside for a potty break or to eat and she would start all over again once she re-entered the box.

Had the exact same thing with a bitch of mine years ago, but thankfully I had a long time breeder as a friend. What she suggested and it worked like a charm, was to put a card table over the box and then drape a sheet over that. Make it like a tent or teepee.The bitch immediately settled right down. It simulates a den like situation, where she didn't have the instinct that predators or other pack members would be able to get her babes.

Thanks Breeder6

now that's an interesting idea!! Thanks for that information. Very rarely does this happen with one of my girls but if it does, next time will try this.

I too had the same thing with my first time Mom. I had to stay in the room around the clock.....she just needed some TLC and reassurance. She would freak out if anyone came up our driveway or knocked at the door....she would cry and carry the puppies around trying to hide them. At first I thought she was sick....her temp would spike up to 103.....then a short time later it would go back to normal....it was stress that caused the temp rise. I fed her lots of yogurt....stayed with her practically in the box and within a few days everything was fine. She turned out to be the one of the best Moms I have ever had !!

The puppies are only a few days old. She's a first time mom. I gave her a calcium shot late morning and she seems to have settled down and is more comfortable. Not as frantic, not as much picking up. I always feel I have "this" figured out and then realize that whelping and raising a litter is different every time. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

I give my moms vanilla Ice cream 1 or 2 cups a day, and tums if its a big litter. They really appreciate the Ice Cream

I always calcium supplement once the litter is on the ground. Why wait for an issue, it is a healthy way to go for Mom. JMO

BDR, how much, how often and for how long do you supplement with calcium? Interesting that so many breeders use this supplement and yet vets don't seem to think it's effective for this problem.

600mg per 20 lb.s. daily. My vet has recommended it for 15 years. If in doubt please discuss it with your own vet.

And I never used it for this problem, thank goodness it never happened to this day. Was it the calcium supplementation? I don't know for sure to be quite frank.

Revival or Amazon should have good prices for tablets.

Hi!

The last litter my bitch had was the first time she seemed a little anxious. I remembered the calcium from this forum. I gave her a dollop of yogurt each time I fed her the first day or two and after that she was fine and settled right in.

Donna

I have been told that calcium also assists with a plentiful milk supply.