Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Take a Deep Breath

So many posts from nervous and worried owners with new litters! Try not to be nervous or worried around a mom with newborn pups. It goes right to her, and makes her nervous and worried too. It's exciting and thrilling, and at the same time terrifying to have a new litter in your house. Take a deep breath, relax, watch from a distance, give her a quiet, comfortable and safe environment. Speak softly, move gently. Think loving thoughts. Maintain your usual daily routine. If you want to watch over her every minute, install a web cam and watch from the next room.

Re: Take a Deep Breath

Very good post Nancy!

Re: Take a Deep Breath

How true Nancy! I have a bitch that took 3 days from the time labor started to have her first pup. The Vet kept saying he just didn't think she was ready yet. I was keeping vigil over her the whole time, laying by the box and anxiously watching. With her next litter I could see things were going to go the same way,as she would get real comfortable laying on the floor next to me with her labor kind of shuting down for long periods. At that point I knew her history so I wasn't nearly as nervous about what was happening. I decided to leave her alone and just keep checking on her. Boy what a difference! After a very short while after she realized she was on her own, she started to get down to business and pushed the first pup out. Like you said she read my emotions like a book and once I stepped back and relaxed she became a Mom on a mission.