Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Selling on Ebay.

I know this isn't a lab question.But wondering if anyone has sold a car on Ebay?. I'm giving up my dogshowing vehicle ,As we bought a new one.If i don't sell it locally , wondered bout ebay.
Perhaps you would like to email me with your horror stories or positive results. Just thinking about it.

Re: Selling on Ebay.

We sold one of my vans on eBay a few years ago, because we bought one from a private seller and couldn't use it as a trade-in. We didn't want to have a van sitting in our driveway for eternity, especially since it had many, many miles on it and wasn't likely to sell quickly.

So, I went to eBay and sold it fairly quickly. You should go to Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com), I think, to get a good idea of what your van might be worth, then set an approximate price to sell. Making it a bit lower is more enticing.

Also, take good, clear photographs of the car from all angles, inside and out, the engine and odometer. In the description, list all good things as well as dents, broken or non-working issues, etc. Take photos of any scratches or dents. Have the title for the vehicle, if you can. Otherwise, you will have to make other arrangements to obtain it.

You will probably have some brokers contact you. I sold mine to a broker in NJ to ship to Latvia! They came and picked it up. It's a car, not a puppy, so I wasn't concerned about where it was going. I did get some $$$ out of it, and didn't think I would, since it was pretty worn out at 257K+ miles on it.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Selling on Ebay.

Dont use paypal. I sold one on ebay, got paid thru paypal. The buyer had a hard time finding a shipper so he decided he wanted to not purchase. I told him no, its a done deal. He complained to his credit card company and they refunded his money. They said being I, the seller had no proof that the product was delivered and recieved by the buyer, he can get his money back. They didnt care if our ebay contract stated the buyer is responsible for picking up or the shipping.

Paypal then put my account as a negative as I already took the funds out of the account. Paypal says I should go out of state to the buyers hometown and file a small claims action. Dont use paypal!

Re: Re: Re: Selling on Ebay.

I bought a car that cost over 100k on ebay -- it was a wonderful experience.

Good Luck!!!

I second the notion not to use Paypal to accept payment for the vehicle if it is sold. I had been using Paypal successfully for years and then got scammed by someone who is still selling on ebay. He ended up with the item I sold him (which he then re-sold for a higher price) and also got his money back. This was to the tune of $400. I fought for months but the reality is that his credit card company and Paypal provided him with unlimited protection, provided me with none and he obviously knows how to 'use' the system to his advantage. They didn't even require him to return the item to me and rather than tarnish my credit score I opted to just let it go. It was a very expensive lesson.

Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Selling on Ebay.

Well it's a nice car. Mini van less then 84,000 miles on it and drives like a dream very dependable. nice looking car to.So whats the best method of payment?
I have taken pictures and know what its worth through kelly blue book same as my banker.
Has some new things on it. aren't there alot of fees tacked on it after i sell it. through ebay.?

Thanks for the advise....... glad i posted.
living in the country not a whole lot of people
drive by to care about a care 4-sale!!!

I highly recommend Autotrader online too.
I have bought all my used vehicles this way.
http://www.autotrader.com

Cash or certified check on delivery I say!
Good Luck Diane

What about Craigs list, which I don't much about.
Anyone suggest that.?

We sold our full-size van last year on cars.com
We got a lot of calls on it.

We also live in the country and had the van out front for a while with a for sale sign. Only had one person stop by and inquire on it in about 6 weeks. I also tried Craig's list -- no inquiries from there. cars.com has a hit counter so you can see how much interest there is and you can use an anonymous e-mail where they forward to your e-mail account which is nice. We accepted cash for the van or would have taken a certified check (they say NOT to take a cashier's check).

Actually, a cashier's check is preferable. A certified check only means that the bank certifies that there are sufficient funds in the account AT THE TIME OF CERTIFICATION. Those funds may or may not be available when the check is presented for payment.

A cashier's check is written on the bank, against money the maker has given to the bank for that purpose. It can only bounce if the bank is broke.

Now, if only someone could explain the difference between certified and registered mail......

So I have heard of horror stories of buyers being out of the country. I should list in the US buyers only.?
Of course I don't need any foreign checks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Selling on Ebay.

Also research the scams--the cars board on e-bay is very good in general for them. There are lots of very talented scam artists that will cost you money and still not haul the car out of your yard.

Do not, EVER, cash a check, money order, etc. and give money BACK to your buyer or the person that picks the car up.

If I was selling a vehicle privately, I would only accept cash in hand for it.

You could try Kelley Blue Book advertising after you check the value to show customers. kbb.com

Cash in hand is the best way, I agree.