Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
High Protein, Low Fiber Diets

I currently am feeding my 3-year old a high protein (42%),grain-free, low fiber dog food. She is doing great on it and looks great. But her stools are somewhat hard and at times she strains. I started feeding canned pumpkin and occasionally give her diced apples and blueberries.

I also give her some yogurt. Is this generally binding? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get some more fiber into her diet (without turning her loose, if you know what I mean).

Thanks.

Re: High Protein, Low Fiber Diets

I switched my 2 from ProPlan to Innova Evo large bites a couple months ago. It firmed up my boys stools (which was a benefit to him) and now my girl only goes about once a day - but she was always firm. I also give them pumpkin or green beans and yogurt, but not regularly. It kind of negates the idea of the high protein, low fiber diet to supplement it with too much fiber. Does the pumpkin work for you? If it does, I'd just stick with that - find out how little it takes to keep them more regular and go with that. My 2 are doing very well on the Innova - coats get better everyday and while they never had too much allergy problem, I haven't noticed any since I've started feeding it. I have also heard from people who's dogs actually get looser stools on it - so it depends on the dog. I am feeding Innova Evo RM right now and it's a little too rich for them - boy's stools are looser again - so I'll finish this bag and not buy it again.

I have been feeding Natures Variety Instinct (grain free) since May and all dogs are doing great.

Firm stools 2x/day.

You can also give about 1/2 tspn of metamucil if your continues to struggle. Try this for a while and then back off and see how she does.

I think the firmer stools are normal for this kind of diet and more natural. You are just not used to seeing them.
Good luck, the diet is much better for her if you can stick to it!

WELLNESS CORE REDUCED FAT is a grain-free diet with higher fiber.