Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
when to up food on a pregnant female

The subject says it all She is 37 days post breeding with progestrone testing, showing sings of being pregnant. When do you up thier food? Right now she is in good condition, a little plump. Thanks.

Re: when to up food on a pregnant female

If there seems to be more than a couple of puppies, then I increase about 20-25% 3 weeks before due date, up to about 40% through the end of the pregnancy. I had good luck last litter by not overfeeding. The bitch had the entire litter of nine at home. No c-section. Again, it depends on how she looks and how many pups you think she might have.

We up the food after she whelps and is nursing. Fat girls going into whelp may have problem

Thanks. I was thinking alonge those lines too. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

I add small amounts from the beginning of 6 weeks. It has worked for our bitches and they are far from fat when they whelp their litters.

Re: Re: when to up food on a pregnant female

Same here. We up the food slightly at about 6wks and then once puppies are welped, we up the food again and feed 3x daily with a mix of adult and puppy food.