Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coccidia prevention in puppies

I have had problems recently with my puppies contracting coccidia. We've done everything we can think of to eradicate it, but somehow, it's still around. I know it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to eliminate. Anyway, I recall reading on this forum about a recipe for drinking water for pups that is supposed to help prevent coccidia. I did a search, but couldn't find it. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I believe it had vitamin B12, as well as a few other ingredients. If someone could point me in the right direction or re-post the recipe, I would greatly appreciate it!

Re: Coccidia prevention in puppies

When my first pet girl came home as a puppy she contracted coccidiosis and had to be treated twice. My vet told me short of burning your grass or a long freeze there virtually is no way to iradicate it from a yard. I sold that house and moved to the farm with my new hubby before I got other pups or had a litter so I have no idea if our long Minnesota winter freeze got rid of it or not. Knock on wood, we have not had it at the farm yet.

Re: Re: Coccidia prevention in puppies

I always seem to have puppies with stools that are a bit soft with mucus in them. I just treat with Albon. Not a big deal. I don't even run stool samples....hard to find it anyway I think.

I believe you are talking about Corid water. I tried it and it didn't help. Still got coccidia.

Re: Re: Coccidia prevention in puppies

I see that everyone talks about "just giving Albon" for coccidia in the puppies and in my experience I had to get the script through my Vet who insisted on stool samples. Is there anyway to get it without a prescription. I would prefer to have some on hand in case I need it.

Where does everyone get it from?

My vet writes a prescription for me and I order it from KV or Vet Med. Once you've had it you will almost always get it with the next litter. Early dosing is the best way to nip it in the bud. The puppies become awful looking and lose their bloom if it goes on too long. They start to look puny and anemic.

Numerous years ago a product from the equine world came over to the canine world for Coccidia. This was Marquis. Marquis had to be made up, comes in a paste. The active ingredient in Marquis is "Ponazuril". Ponazuril is now available straight, already made, incredibly easy to give pups, safe for even prego girls and young babies though I would not give young babies unless you know you have a problem. It's a 2 day dose. If you would like more information please e mail me privately. Your vet would order it direct from the pharmacy and they will ship directly to you.

1 gallon water
2 1/2 cc B12 injectable, squirt right in the water
2 TBLS Karo
2 capfuls of NeoMycin Sulfate

Give as sole source of drinking water, mom too. Send a gallon with them to their new home too.

Always hear that once you have it, most likely will rear it's head agian in future litters.
Have not found that to be necessarily so. When I did have it, it was usually one puppy and about at 7 weeks old, so we would hold that puppy back until med finished and firm stools for at least a few days afterwards.
Have had litters since where no pups here had symptoms and no need to be treated, no reports of pups having problems with stools after leaving.
We keep a close eye out for it regardless.
So what are other's experiences with subsequent litters after having coccidia in one litter?
My vet does not to prescribe meds as a preventative. He feels coccidia is self limiting, but will prescribe med if I would absolutely insist that I believe that's what we're dealing with or a positive fecal.
So we try to keep pups stress free, worm free, in robust condition, and make the transition into new homes as easy for them as possible. So far so good.

I do realize you mention these are much younger pups. Have not had to deal with it where it appeared at such a young age.

Those of us that have had maybe three litters a year and have had it in EVERY litter do give meds as a preventative. You may not have to do so because it hasn't been a regular problem for YOU, but for those of us that have it in EVERY litter, yes it is necessary for the health of the puppies. Yes, they are kept clean and healthy and "robust". That has nothing to do with it.

Not arguing with what others do. Sorry, was just giving my experience and asking the experience of others. My goodness.

Can I ask something??? Why is it some people are so quick to take something as a personal affront??
No where did I say anyone's decision to give a med as a preventative was not necessary. Gave my experience, shared my vet's feelings about things, asked about others experience with subsequent litters. Nothing more I assure you.

So now if we can have a civil discussion, can I ask for thoughts.
If Coccidia is present once in a litter, and you supposed can't kill it from the ground without digging up the whole yard, other dogs could be shedding it at times, etc.
why does it make a difference if it's one litter every year or two vs. say 3 litters a year? Do you feel the numbers proliferate so there's more chance for exposure?

What age do you usually first see symptoms, (asking those who routinely deal with it)?

Why is it sometimes you hear of it alot in that first week puppy goes to new home? Do you feel stress (the transition) plays a role as some say?

Just to add info in my experience, yes we only have a litter every year or two (usually). I did have two litters in a year once, first was a litter of only 2 puppies so not much to choose from for myself.

We have about 3-4 litters a year and started having problems with coccidia last year. Two litters in a row got it, so we did some major "clean up" around the kennel. We pressure washed and bleached all of our kennels (we do this routinely anyway), put all of the adult dogs on Albon (on the advice of our vet) and then pressure washed/bleached the kennels again after the treatment was finished. The next litter we had never got it, so we thought we had been successful in eliminating it.

But then the first litter we had this year contracted it. Actually, it was only one puppy in the litter. When they were about 5 weeks old, I went to feed them one morning and noticed one of the females acting strangely. She had no interest in the food - very out of character for her - and seemed somewhat lethargic. This scared me and I rushed her right to the vet that morning. It turned out to be coccidia and once she had some meds in her, she was back to being herself. We treated the entire litter with Albon and they were clear by the time they went for their health certificates at 8 weeks.

I've had 2 other litters this year since then and they have both contracted it. Of those 2 litters, one never showed any signs (it was discovered when we went to do health certificates) and the other didn't show signs until 7 weeks of age. What makes it even more frustrating is that we do fecals on all the pups at 5-6 weeks of age to try to catch and treat it early. Both of these litters tested negative at that age, so we thought we were in the clear. Not so and that's why I asked about the water. I'm willing to try anything to kick this, or at least get it somewhat under control.

I use SMZ(Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim Oral suspension 200 mg / 40 mg per 5 ml. I'ts basically a pediatric medicine. Taste like bubblegum. I use it sometimes as a precaution 7 days before health certificates.

I haven't had a problem with coccidia in about 3 years, but when I was having issues, this made noticeable difference in 24 hours of giving it.
It's inexpensive, I give it orally, and the pups like it. I get it from my livestock mobile vet.

Coccidia is already in my yard (who knows - it was there before my first litter and probably came from birds.) The puppies get coccidia either when they go outside for the first time, or when it's rainy and mom comes in wet. Short of giving her a bath every time she goes out, there's no way to prevent the transfer. So I use Tylan as a preventative or a cure. I sprinkle about 1/8 tsp on the pups' food if they are eating, but if they are too young to eat, I give them about a 3 cc syringe of Tylan water (1/8 tsp per gallon) with a little bit of Karo for palatability until the symptoms are gone. Coccidiosis is no big deal really. Tylan doesn't kill it, it just keeps it from reproducing, so the pups eventually develop immunity just like the adults do.