Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding "perfect" puppy buyers?

I seem to have an issue with choosing puppy buyers. Occasionally I will get one that I am really happy with, but generally it seems like there is usually one issue or another that makes me less than excited about selling them a puppy.

Does anyone else have this "syndrome" and how do you deal with this? Also, if you get one that you really aren't sure about, what do you say to them? Let me get back to you if I don't find someone I like better????

How do you decide who you will place puppies with? I'm afraid that if I don't find a "cure" I will end up having a whole litter living here!

Re: Finding "perfect" puppy buyers?

I don't have a cure but have the same problem. I am finally sending my last puppy to his new home next week at 4 months because I just couldn't seem to find the right fit until now.

Have your friend with you at interview. A second opinion.

Now this is a subject after my own heart!!!

We beleive that we get the very best familes. I contribute that to a few things. First, we've spent over 10 years getting our site so that it shows up on the first page of all the major search engines when someone does a search for Labrador puppy or Labrador breeder. I think we get first chance at a great number of people for that reason.

The second, and I think probably has the most influencial, is we talk about how we raise our dogs on our website. That they live in the house with us and we raise the puppies in the house. We explain that we believe this is the most important factor in the wonderful demeanor of our Labs. We hear over and over again that the reason people have decided on our kennels instead of others is becaue the obvious love we have for our pet-first breeding stock shows through on our website.

Secondly, the amount of information we provide on our site. Not just about our dogs but also our breeding philosphy, what we feed our dogs, etc.Then when people contact us, we give them as much information as they could possible want about the litter - what it's strengths will be, why we chose that particular combination. The best families are interested in this because they want a healthy well-bred dog.

We turn away over 35% of the people that contact us. We tell them upfront what our concerns are. We have even had cases where we met one family member for the first time when they came to fetch their puppy and based on that meeting had to tell them that we did not believe it would be giving the best home. If the dog is not in a good home, it will not be happy and therefore, they will not be happy.

We have a questionnaire. the good prospects are more than happy to complete it. In fact, the good prospects usely start their first contact with an email explaining to us why they think they would have the best possible environment for a Lab.

On the other hand, many start with asking how much are dogs are. I politely turn them away when I tell them that we have a waiting list. A good family takes that as a good point. An undesireable family doesn't.

I'm ramblng - sorry!!

I have the same problem. Maybe it's a "control" person kind of mentality, I'm not sure. I just know that it takes me many weeks to finally sell even part of a litter. I just want several key requirements before I will even invite them to see the pups. I have to sleep at night - I don't have a remedy.

It's called unconditional love for your puppies, don't ever let it change even slightly. Continue to be fussy, they deserve it. You're doing it right if you rule out people even on a gut instinct

There are some wonderful puppy buyers out there, you know when you find them!

Re: Re: Finding "perfect" puppy buyers?

I had a couple come out last Sunday to meet parents of pups that I may have in the early spring. I'm a newbie, but, after two hours of conversing with this couple, I didn't have to ask them a thing. They gave me all the information I needed to know, without having to ask one question. I have found, that a true dog lover just spews out what they have done for the dog they have had for the past fifteen years. Its like you don't have to interview them, if they are sincere, they just talk and if you listen. This is where the pup should be or not be. I turned away a couple who were concerned about the pup urintating on the hard wood floors.

This post isn’t meant to offend or put down anyone process for picking puppy buyers, just my point of view.
You may be ruling out some very nice people on a bad first impression. I make a horrible first impression. I’m very nervous around new people. To add to that, I not financial well off and it’s obvious! I was so terrified that no one would sell me a puppy despite working at a vets. Thank you to my breeder who saw through what some would not have. I love my dogs, they get better health care then I do. I do show and I’m expecting my first litter (working very closely with my breeder) but I had to forgo on a much needed new vehicle to do it. I’m rambling, but my point is, that there are others out there who may not make a wonderful first impression, and may not drive up in a shinny new vehicle , but that doesn’t immediately make then bad owners. Just something to keep in mind

I hate to make generalizations, but I do admit I look at the vehicle. Not so see what make/model/year it is, not to see if it's new and shiny, but I do look at the outward upkeep. Hey, every little tid bid of info I tuck away to put together for the big picture! I had a neighbor who if you looked in her car, you would see weeks old boxes of Kentucky Fried chicken boxes with bones in it sitting in the back seat and you wouldn't want to get in it because of all the trash strewn about!! And her home reflected the same level of care, she had several animals and none were cared for properly, and finally the SPCA came in and inspected and removed the animals. I know that was an extreme case.
On the other hand, had a family in a shiny Lexus SUV and they were the ones I came the closest to literally kicking out of my home.

Re: Re: Re: Finding "perfect" puppy buyers?

A couple of years ago we had a family tell us they are the worlds best family for one of our puppies. I kinda got a little concerned. So I said well then you won't mind if I have you fill out a application so I get to know you better. And to see if i have a puppy who will match up to your life style. I had just sold 2 labs different ages. To some people who know this worlds best puppy home.

They were glad we were so picky about the 4 ever homes for our pups.
The worlds best home. After reading the application. Thought It was to much like adopting a child.
Needless to say they never got one of our puppies and never will. They aren't that worlds best home to me.
There dogs are named after all the ones who pass.
The new dog gets the same name.And they rarely get to lick there coats.They are dressed in customes all the time.......

Re: Re: Finding "perfect" puppy buyers?

Wow, glad my pups breeder never saw my car LOL. My car is the one place that I admittedly neglect. It's got many dents and dings, a good amount of junk mail ( where does all of it come from anyway??) and my son always has to "shove over the pile" to buckle up. The back (it's a wagon) however is the dog domain. There is never anything back there other than a couple durable chew toys and a blankie. My house is the complete opposite, I can't stand a messy house. I declutter and vacuum daily. My counters are always sparkling and my floors get mopped every other day. My dogs get the best food I can get ahold of, the best veterinary care, never are behind on their HW or flea/tick preventative, get daily walks or hikes, are always enrolled and attending either an obedience or agility class, you get the picture, please dig deeper than peoples cars LOL.

Oh please c'mon now, go back and read my entire post again. Do you have weeks old chicken bones in your car?? LOL