Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
no heat

What could be the cause for a 17 month old bitch to never have had a heat? I've tried being patient, now I'm getting a little worried. She has been with other girls who have been in and out of heat, has been healthy, etc... My next step is to call our vet, but it's too early in the a.m. so I thought I'd throw the question out there. Thanks.

Re: no heat

I have had girls come in at 16-17 months before and then cycle every 6 months or so after that. I wouldn't be worried at this point.

I had one who came in for the first time at 18 months. She went on to have regular cycles and had 3 normal litters. Not to worry.

Re: Re: no heat

It's called patience. I had a Borzoi that was 32 months. She was already finished and had people waiting for her pups.

Hang in there. I know it is hard as the proverbial watched pot doesn't boil!! My girls generally come in between 15-20 months for the first time.

I like you had a bitch that didn't have a heat.The day she turned 17 months old she had her first heat. Some lines seem to mature slower than others.

Thanks everyone! I worry about her health more than prospective breedings. She does come from a line that is slow to mature, but the latest I have ever had is 14 months. I'll hang in and you'll hear my "yippie!" when she eventually comes in.

My girl didn't first come in until she was 17 1/2 months old. I had just begun to worry and she came in. Her mother had her first heat at 10 1/2 months old. Don't worry.

Most all our girls are related but we have had two of them come in much later than expected( normally 14-16 months), one at 22 months, the other at 26 months. The latter one is now very PG with her first litter at 3 1/2 years of age.
Just be patient.

Like another said the watched pot never boils, mine usually come in at 16-18 months but I just had one girl who didn't come in until 2 years and 7 months old, figured i'd give her till she was 3 and if no heat cycle she would be placed in a pet home but she must have known so she came in finally....
Aloha,
jackie

Well I'm the one who had a 3 year old bitch not come in and show no signs of coming in. We did tests that all came back normal. I finally "helped" her in with hormones. First two seasons after the hormones weren't normal, but then she came in again and whelped a litter. She cycled every 11 months after that and had 2 more litters. I just spayed her this year.

Her daughter came in at 22 months. So be patient.