Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Folic acid

Does anyone give their girls folic acid before a pregnancy? In humans, I know it is recommended.

If yes, how much and when do you start?

Re: Folic acid

I do. I start before they come into season, if possible, and end when they whelp. I think my tabs are 400mcg and they get one once a day.

All of my dogs get a little 400mcg tablet in their food once a day - males, females, pregnant or not, etc. There are some vascular health benefits that have nothing to do with reproduction and may support a longer, healthier life.

Re: Re: Folic acid

Years ago my vet said that studies he'd read showed that folic acid deficiency caused clefted palates.

Cleft palate

We were just discussing this on one of the dog lists and someone sent this link. Very interesting research.
http://www.ivis.org/journals/vetfocus/16_2/en/5.pdf

My comments on improved vascular health are related to the CDC report that there have been about 45,000 fewer deaths each year from heart attack and stroke since folate was added to enriched grain used in human food in this country. It is thought to lower homocystine levels and provide a protective benefit. Since dog foods are NOT made with enriched human-grade grain, it made sense to me to add the folate myself

I've never given my dogs folic acid and in 26 years of breeding dogs have only had one puppy that was born dead with a cleft.
Aloha,
jackie

Re: Re: Folic acid

And this proves what?? I have never (never!) had a cleft palate in any dog of any breed I have whelped - probably 150 litters in all. Most of those were born before I started using folate. Does this mean that there are no reasons to add folate to the diet for my dogs??? Of course not! As I said before, there are health benefits that have nothing to do with reproduction. The FACT that a controlled study also showed a 50% reduction in cleft palates in breeds that were prone to the problem would seem to be an added incentive - even though I have never had one

Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

Hutchinson says folic acid has no affect either way in dogs. Also read it in a repro book- does nothing for dogs- their spinal column forms differently than a human's does.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

First, I didn't say anything about spines that I recall. I said that I use folic acid for the vascular benefits. However, since the initial question was about the possible use during pregnancy, please read the research report that I linked re: folate and cleft palates. Even if folate has no effect on spines, this research shows that it may have some developmental benefits that Dr. Hutch has overlooked.

We live in a scientific era where new things are discovered every day. If we continue to hold fast to old ideas, we cheat ourselves of the benefits of modern research. As I said, I have never had a cleft palate, but I still supplement with folic acid now that I know the potential it has for affecting long-term health. BTW, it is the ONLY thing I add to the food I use - other than water

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

I also have never given Folic acid in 30 years of breeding. Don't get clefts either. Think they do run in line more. Or just pop up now and then. Think we get where we just give these bit-hes to much extra.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

I am not concerned about cleft palates either since I have never had one and I have to agree on the "too much extra" opinion. As I said, the ONLY supplement I use is folic acid and every dog gets it - males or females - every day. Since I do not embrace the concept of supplementation, I had to feel that the general health benefits were great enough for me to add this one vitamin to my regimen. I may change my mind as more research becomes available.

Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

It proves that without it i'm not getting clefts is what it is proving to me. Furthermore I was answering the question the original posted posted not your response
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

And this proves what?? I have never (never!) had a cleft palate in any dog of any breed I have whelped - probably 150 litters in all. Most of those were born before I started using folate. Does this mean that there are no reasons to add folate to the diet for my dogs??? Of course not! As I said before, there are health benefits that have nothing to do with reproduction. The FACT that a controlled study also showed a 50% reduction in cleft palates in breeds that were prone to the problem would seem to be an added incentive - even though I have never had one

Re: Re: Re: Re: Folic acid

I don't want to seem argumentative, Jackie - but, once again, what does that prove? YOU do not get clefts from YOUR line based on what YOU feed on the water that YOU have available in the remote (to most of us) location where YOU live. Unless the person who asked wants to move to Hawaii and replace all her dogs with yours, the reply has no relevance to her question. I have not had clefts either, but I would never recommend that someone ignore published research because MY dogs have not had a problem in MY part of the country on what I feed. We all have our own PERSONAL experiences to share, but science has to take precedence when considering a change to something important like a feeding regimen. The published research DOES indicate there may be benefits for both reproduction and general health with folate supplementation - perhaps even in Hawaii

Can I ask what a mcg is?

mcg is a Microgram.