Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog food again.

When you have chocolate dogs you realize the same food that works for yellows does not keep the same nice dark coat for chocolates. Those with nice dark chocolates, what do you feed. Thinking of changing because of cost. Dog food is getting out of sight and they come up with so many new ones. Also, use to very small stools so don't want to go back to bigger and loose like some foods seem to produce in your dogs. HELP ! I will listen.

Re: Dog food again.

My handler recommended Purina Pro Selects Barley and Sweet Potato, I think it was, for the chocolate coats. Said it helps darken then am keep them really nice

LOL! I just remembered, it was a BREEDER friend who recommended that Pro Selects, not my handler, and she showed me how it worked, it was amazing.

I'm sure this is getting boring, but I feed Proplan performance, and my chocolate boy is dark as ever. He spent his summer training for and getting his JH, and never faded a bit.

Re: Re: Dog food again.

We switched to the Kirkland (Costco) Chicken & Rice formula about 7 or 8 months ago....I gotta tell ya I'm really impressed with my chocolates especially...I've never had coats this good before on them...this is the first litter (yellows) that I've had my girl on the Kirkland and she hasn't dropped her coat like most of my girls have done previously after whelping, puppies have great coats as well...I noticed a friend's bitch (chocolate) is still holding her coat as well after her litter....and for the price you can't go wrong....only thing you have to be careful is how much you feed, if you overfeed you end up with cow patties...most of my adults are getting 3 1/2 cups a day....I'm using this food for my puppies too and it's doing a great job of growing them up nice and slow with a nice amount of muscle mass developing....

Re: Re: Re: Dog food again.

Don't know if we have Kirkland around here. What does the bag say on the front? Does not say Kirkland I guess. Is it Diamond ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dog food again.

That's all I have is chocolates.
I feed Diamond to my non show dogs.And the ones who are showing get Natures Variety Salmon and brown rice.
Also get lanolin treatments 3-4 times a week.
The salmon really seems to keep the dark coats on longer.as well as the lanolin treatments.

sorry, I mispoke, its Turkey and Barley...sorry about that

You can get Kirkland only in Costco, I think?

My chocolate girl started out on Purina, then went to Natural Choice, and has been on Canidae ALS for the last couple of months. I know when you see something every day its hard to notice a difference, but she has always maintained a rich, darl coat. I wish my hair looked as good as hers. LOL. On the flipside, my son's chocolate, who is a half sister to mine and comes from the same lines, has been on Natural choice since she was 4 months old. She has a healthy coat but it isn't anywhere near as dark as my chocolate.

Royal Canin Labrador works great, dark coats around here.....sometimes use
Nature's Receipe/skin & coat formula.....not enough protein in that one, but they do great with it.

Re: Re: Dog food again.

My chocolate girl does best on Purina One Lamb and Rice, tried Pro Plan selects salmon thinking it might be a better food and landed up with dry coat and first ever hotspot switch back to Purina One and now she is doing great again. Nice dark coat she looks black in shade and We live in TX