Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Excercise

Please, I need advice.

I am new in labs, I have 4, 1 is about 14 months, 2 are 9 months and 1 is 6 months.

About excercise them, I am not talking about jogging, I think that hearts their bones.

What I am talking about is, walking them and a lot of swimming, they look very good, very strong and the breeder that sold them to me said she had never seen such a strong labs, she is asking for my advice, imagine, sorry, so my question is:

Do walking and swimming affect their growing?

Thanks for all the advice I can get.

Re: Excercise

Exercise is important for growing puppies. Swimming, retrieving and long walks (age appropriate distances of course)help your lab to develop properly and to stay in shape. Same for people! I swear if it weren't for my dogs I would have even more middle age spread!!

Thank you Susan.
Great comment, I agree with you, if it wasn't for the dogs, I would be, either the model of Kripsy Cream or in hart cirgury.

So it's good to walk and swim, it doesn't affect their growing?

Thanks again,

To all the experts out there.
I am very curious to know about this too and only Susan has helped us, please more info?
Thank you,

Re: Re: Excercise

I agree completely with Susan.

Since my wife has started me on retrieving, I've gotten into excellent shape..

"Rich, Sit!"..... "Rich, Go Fetch!!"..." Good Boy!!"

(Pant...Pant....Pant....)

Good Advice,

>>>Rich! Pretty funny.

Swimming is wonderful exercise. Walking is good too. My dogs love to play in deep dirt or sand. Retrieve in it gives them great exercise and strength.
Keeps muscles healthy!!

As my hubby says "use it or lose it!"

Re: Re: Excercise

I take mine for tramps in the fields & woods near my house. Obviously I don't go over rough terrain, so they have the option of taking the "easy" route. If they're tired, they can walk with me, or if they're needing more exercise, there's always chances to run around like a fool, go through the heavy terrain (which they do) as well as swim as we walk back to a river.

I generally start pitching fetch toys closer to the end of the walk, so they don't wear out and still have the whole walk to go through.