Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ears

All of our dogs eat the same kibble.....and only one of our boys has a problem with yeasty ears. We just want to know what works best for any of you who have the same problem. We want our guy to be comfortable, and don't want to switch him over to a fish and potato allergy food if we can avoid it. Any good recommendations? Thanks!

Re: ears

I used to do the same, feed all the kids the same food and I saw different issues with different dogs. I finally learned through great mentoring not to feed as a "group" but rather each as an individual. Since then I have not run into allergy or ear problems because I change a food if needed. I would suggest finding out if the dog does indeed have an allergy problem caused by the food and switch if necessary. Otherwise, you will have a constant battle on your hands.

Re: Re: ears

sorry, I did switch to duck/oatmeal or a fish food that worked really well for m by Eagle Pack.

Food does effect ears, but some dogs have yucky ears no matter what they are on. Sooo as it was given to me years ago here is the "Floppy Dog Ear Magic Formula" and no I did not name it!
16 oz isopropyl alcohol, 4 tbsp boric acid powder and 16 drops gentian violet. Be careful as it stains clothing. Use once a day for several weeks and then you can decrease to every other day and down to once a week or less.
And yes I ran it by my vet and he liked it as it is both an anti-fungal and a drying formula. It is much like the prescription ear drugs.

Tea Tree Oil is all that has ever worked for me, even better than the RX stuff for ears from my vet.
I coat the ear initially, keep it coated inside for a week (smells yucky, but better than stinky ear!) and then I just coat the ear once a week, then down to once a month. I've done this for 21 year with dogs that tended to have yeasty ears.
Tea Tree Oil is available at any health food store.

By the way there is a product called Melafix I use it for my Koi ponds , but years ago after using in the pond I thought "this stuff would work well for dogs ears!!" and it does, and you can even find it in Walmart in the fish section, I add it to the ear cleaner or use it straight for more serious cases, works well and doesn't smell bad either. It also makes a great antiseptic too.

Re: Re: Re: ears

I've had problems with my girl's yeasty ears on and off for about 2 years. I've tried California Natural Chicken and Rice (puppy and adult), Canidae Chicken, Canidae All Stages and Innova Adult, all with varying stages of success and/or failure.

I decided to go to grain-free and she is currently on EVO Red Meat. She has been on it for about 6-8 weeks and lately her ears have been pristine. She did have hard stools and straining issues but now she gets a bit of ground flaxseed and canned pumpkin (and really, really loves that). Her coat also has a very brilliant sheen to it.... and she can also now do basic arithmetic.

Hope this helps.

Cut grains or use less of them or even try different kinds. Eventually you will find a food that will keep the dogs ears clean.

I use Susan's formula, but use tea tree oil instead of gentian violet. Always a success with my dogs...

If you are feeding a good quality food with few fillers or non at all:

Put 1 tbspn of apple cider viniger in food daily with water added. (start with less if need be to get use to the taste)

Helps ward off yeast. Works for dry flakey coat as well.