Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2008 JBD

FYI - You may not know that it is likely the Directory will become an every two year publication. Our last regular edition was 2006. In all probability, the next one will be 2010 so 2008 is not one you want to miss.
Even though the deadline has passed, we have extended it for a short time, by request, so that people can get their Black and White or Color pages ready. Let me know by email or phone if there's any problem at all and we'll try our best to be accommodating.

Re: 2008 JBD

"Please do not use this Forum to place any form of advertisements."

Thanks for the reminder, Julie. Your directories are invaluable sources of information!

Can't wait for it to hit the mailbox.

Really not trying to stir up trouble, but why is it that some people get a "by" when it comes to the rules and others don't? Wasn't it clearly an advertisement? Unless of course the listing in the directory are free?

Re: Re: 2008 JBD

'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'

"Animal Farm" by George Orwell, 1945

Re: Re: Re: 2008 JBD

Why don't some of you all get lost. Get a life or mind your own business. So silly.
Thank you, Julie, you have my ad but sure some will still jump at the new deadline.

Yep - double standard. I'm sure if a "nobody" got on here advertising their new product you'd jump all over them telling them not to advertise! I wouldn't have a problem with it if everyone had the same "freedom" to advertise on a non-advertising list!

Yep it may say that on top of the page but Jill posted Julie Brown's directory, Weathertop collection and Alvalley leads ON THE HOME PAGE as featured links!

Julie's books are on my night stand. This is the perfect place to advertise it, many newbies should buy them and learn a little something

THANKS JULIE!!

I don't consider Julie's posting anything other than information that will benefit quite a few people. Why don't you leave the policing of the board to Jill or her assistants and get involved in a real hobby - one that keeps your attention instead of this silly-a**ed stuff. Apparently dogs don't do it for you.

Or here's an idea to keep you busy - all of the people that include their kennel website on their posting? Go after all of them (us) for advertising. That should keep you busy for awhile! I'm putting on my flame proof PJs and resuming my post-op routine....

Goodness Gracious Alive, as my Mother would say! If not for the Julie Brown Directory many of us would still be in the dark ages as far as pedigree research is concerned. For those of us who have not been in the breed for 30 or 40 years the JBD's provide a picture
of dogs we have never seen, could never see! Precious mentors tell me about dogs, lineages, etc. and then I can look them up...it takes repetition to learn, and the JBD's put a face to a name. Have some respect! The JBD's are educational tools, that just happen to cost a tiny sum to own. I thank Julie for years of hard work to keep the Directory alive!

Since 1971, the Julie Brown's Directories to Labrador Pedigrees have been a valuable breeder's and enthusiasts resource. Most importantly, the Directories have become history books which are preserving our Labrador heritage.

Julie, thank you for your dedication to the Labrador breed and perseverance in publishing these pedigree books.

Best Regards,
Cathy Magnuson

I was not going to dignify this with an answer to those people who were critical but I have received so much support and this morning, someone asked me to post this so here goes.
In 1971 when Joan Clarke and I started this publication, there was no Internet, nobody had a computer, most didn’t have typewriters, there were no digital cameras, & it was a special occasion when you made a long distance call. If you heard there was a terrific stud dog across the country, what could you do?
You had to sit and write a longhand letter to the owner (who never heard of you) asking for a picture, a pedigree, and information. Then, IF you got a satisfactory answer , you had to face the uncomfortable prospect of shipping your precious bitch across the country and worry about her safe arrival, wonder about the care she was getting from strangers, etc.
This book was NEVER considered an advertising journal. It is considered a Reference Book. Years ago when Mark Mooty ran things at the AKC and judging applicants were not permitted to be in the publishing business soliciting ads (conflict of interest) he called me to NY and decided my book was an exception because first, I didn't make a living from it and second, it was really a reference book as opposed to a periodical where people created individual ads to get their dogs in front of judges, etc. My book was used (and still is) as a reference to plan breedings, as a phone book to call people, as a way to study pedigrees & see who produced what, and so forth. It is not tossed on the pile of periodicals that come and go; it is kept forever. For many years I sold my books under the big tent at specialties where I also sold show catalogs and I was not treated as a vendor. Yes, this book was always unique unto itself and not to be compared with fancy ads in periodicals designed to get dogs under the noses of judges..
To the person that sarcastically said "are the pages free?" No, they're not free and neither is the printing. I have no need to defend my charges because I can honestly say I don't make a single cent until I start selling books and that is AFTER the people who paid for pages get their complimentary book. We started this in 1971 as a service to breeders who didn't have the Internet, didn't have typewriters, many didn't have cameras, and it was the only way to know what was happening on the other side of the country,in fact, the world. It worked and has been working for 38 years.
So is it advertising? You could call it that or you could call what I wrote an announcement for the information of the people whom always feel November 1st sneaks up on them and they're too late. So far, several have appreciated the FYI. For the few I offended....here's the explanation. And for those who were supportive, you have my gratitude.

Julie I count the JBD amongst my most prized possessions and use it as a tool to educate when puppy buyers ask what their puppy's ancestors look like. For me it has been the ultimate reference tool. When I moved from Atlanta to Virginia those books rode in a box in the front seat with me so that they would not get misplaced! I just wanted to publicly thank you for the time, effort and vision it took to even start doing it. Yes, I have had a dog or two in there when we had to submit black and white photos. Given the advent of the internet and how easy it is now to do pedigree research remembering the "old days" really makes me feel my age!!

Julie, keep up the excellent work you do!

"To the negative responses"
When you post your comments it draws people to read that thread more often.

Julie, you can't buy this kind of publicity!

Julie, thanks for extending the deadline. My information is on its way. As a newbie, I'm excited to have my dog be part of the JBR!

To those that are soooo narrow minded: Julie may be the collector of a few dollars but it would not begin to re-pay her for all her painstaking work, time, blood (yes blood), sweat and no doubt, tears. Without this wonderful publication, I've no doubt that many of you would not have near the knowledge you do now. Instead to bashing Julie, we should be sending her praises. Tell me one person who in all these years has continued to provide this type of service to our breed. Noone!!!. We should all put a link to her website on our own. Or maybe those narrow minded people would like to take on this task of providing the world with the information Julie so lovingly gives. I don't think so. It takes one hell of a LADY to do this job!!!
Thank you Julie for now, the past and for whatever you are willing to give us in the future.
Marion Daniel

So, some are upset that Julie started a thread about the directory. Well, in a way every brag that is posted is an adverstisment. To brag is to advertise about an achievment. So, what is the deal?

Julie has already paid a fee to advertise on this forum, so I really consider this information not an advertisement but just an added FYI to her paid advert. that alerts everyone to a change in the deadline. Seems simple enough.
And speaking of old Julie Brown's- you should see the notes I hand wrote in my really old ones!!! So silly, so novice! We all start somewhere.
Judy

Re: Re: Re: 2008 JBD

Julie - Ignore the negativity.

I for one treasure my JBDs. They are excellent reading both on the road and at home. I also appreciate the extended deadline each and every time Nov. 1st sneaks up on me.

Can't wait for the 2008 edition!!