Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Royal Canin

I know the bag says for 15 months and older does anyone feed younger than that? I have a puppy turning 1 and was thinking of switching....also any pros or cons?
tia,
Sharon

Re: Royal Canin

I don't feed it and not sure of the variety of Royal Canin you are referring to, but possibly the kind you are looking at has a higher calcium which is not good for younger dogs???

Re: Re: Royal Canin

I see the puppy formula is for up to 15 months...I was looking at the breed specific.
Also anyone using Eukanuba Labrador Retriever formula? Pros or Cons?
This food stuff drives me crazy!!
Thanks,
Sharon

Re: Re: Re: Royal Canin

Sharon don't stress yourself... you just send that gorgeous girl over her!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

I don't see how the breed-specific formulas are going to take off as long as the customers only see the small bags on store shelves. I don't know about Royal Canin, but the only Eukanuba Lab formula I have seen is is the small bags - not even the medium sized ones. Except for the vendor exhibits at the all-breed shows. I feed an all natural food, so this doesn't apply to me, but I just never got it when it came to the marketing and distribution of this stuff.

Sharon,

If your referring to Royal Canin Large Breed Adult it will not harm you dog to eat it, however, RC just doesn't recommend it. A large breed dog isn't typically mature skeleton or muscle wise so the puppy formula is formulated to help in those cases.

If you call the 800 number on the back of the bag you could ask RC more detailed questions that you have concerns about. They are really helpful.

As far as the breed specific RC does crazy amounts research on each breed so that they can make such a food for that particular breed and they are extremely popular. We have big bag in all of our large breed formulas. The Labrador formula kibble is amazing and actually makes my labradors chew instead of inhaling.... great for reduction of plaque, tarter, and possible bloating issues.

Hope this helps...

Thanks everybody for your info. Not sure about the switch yet. I will do more research. I know what works for one dog might not work for another.
Thanks again,
Sharon

I wish you could get RC Baby Dog in something other than a 10 pound bag at your local pet store. It's not reasonable to ask pet people to feed it when the price for such a small amount is out of this world.

I have a question for those of you who use Royal Canin.
I used the RC HT 42 for my girl from time of breeding until about day 42.
I now have pups arriving in a few days.
I know that they will be enjoying mom's milk for a few weeks but after that, what do you use-baby dog or large breed puppy and why?
Thanks!

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is RC HT 42?

Ok to answer the babydog bag size question first. Mini Babydog is avaiable in 2# and 10#
MAXI Babydog is available is 6# and 28#
However in the breeder bags Starter is available in 40#

HT42D is a breeding formula that when you first see blood on a bitch you want to breed you start them on this formula until the 42 day.... on the 43rd day they should be started on the Starter formula or the Babydog formula.... EXACT same formulas just named differently for the breeder bags.

To make this crystal clear breeder bags are called Starter and the retail bags are called Babydog.

When the puppies wean they go right onto the Starter/babydog formula the same thing that mom has been eating so the transition is wonderful !! Your bitch is to stay on this starter/babydog for one month after the pups are weaned to help her get back into shape quicker. And of course after this mom would go back on Labrador or LG. Breed adult.

The puppies go on a large breed puppy at 4-5 months old.

I have read all the info you give for this food.

Honestly, I go with what works for my dogs not what some manufacturer says I should give my pregnant bitches.

Talk to other breeders to determine/make a decision on what to feed your dogs/pups, definately not what the manufacturerer of a food recommends.

JMO and I'm sticking to it

I was answering questions for others that posted on this thread.

I am a labrador breeder and have had great success with these formulas.

This wasn't a post to sway you, Patti or anyone else, from using what is already working.