Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color Coding

How old does a pup need to be and where can I find information on getting a puppy color coded to determine what colors she carries? TIA

Re: Color Coding

I searched the VetGen website and could not find an "age" for the cheek swab unlike the OptiGen site. So all I can do is tell you that I have done it on puppies as early as 5 weeks, and 8 weeks but that I would recommend you just call them at Phone: 734.669.8440 or
Toll Free: 800.483.8436 (US & Canada)

I use HealthGene and there is no minimum age. I recently had a pup tested and we did it at 4 weeks of age. But according to the gentleman I spoke with at HealthGene, you don't have to wait, it can be done at any time.

I am pretty sure that you can do the DNA testing at any age. I have had puppies tested around 8 weeks....but I am sure you could do it earlier. I used Vet Gen....they were super to work with...they send you a kit with a couple of spiral brushes that you rotate inside the puppies mouth between its cheek. I think the results take a couple of weeks to get back....good luck.

As soon as they are weaned, we have swabbed 5 week old puppies as Susan has.

There is a new player in the color game, DDC. They are a little less expensive than VetGen and less hassle (sending stuff to Canada) than HealthGene. Web site is
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/