Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Litter Listings

If you've used the litter listings on this site, how much traffic has it generated for you? Do non-lab folks come here to look?

With a litter of 11, I have more puppies to find homes for that I'd ever imagined! And while I've sold several, I've also turned more people down than ever before. (No, I won't change my mind about letting you breed 'just one' litter. No, you can't use him at stud. No, I won't sell him to you so he can live in your barn. I'm sorry, but you can't just let a puppy run on your 25 acres.) Sigh!

Anyway, am trying to figure out if the listings here are working for people.

Thanks,
~Karlene

Re: Litter Listings

I was just thinking I have had more people not pass the initial screening than ever before- same questions from me, just stranger people out there right now?

We have a litter of 10 and am finding the same thing.

I got show traffic from this site. I also wasn't impressed with the AKC ad I placed when that was frist available. I thought it was b/c they were too hard for joe public to find on the AKC site- I tried looking around and couldn't find it when they first launched them. I havent been there to see if they made it easier, but betting they have. Also, haven't placed another.

I think best is to let local reputable breeders to you know and everyone referrs for each other when people call.

Have you ever noticed how people you refer to another breeder you know has puppies, about 1/2 the time they don't call the breeder? I always thought that one strange too.

Re: Re: Litter Listings

What's the general feeling on newspaper ads? Granted you might have to screen out 10X the number of weirdos but many still look in the paper for dogs, and you could possibly find some nice pet buyers out there...

Re: Re: Re: Litter Listings

As long as you are screening properly, who cares where and how you advertise?
I'm lucky to have waaaaaay more families than puppies where I live, but if I lived in a slower area I would definitely consider newspaper advertising. You may just get a gem and you can do a little advertising along the way.
How many of us bought our first pet out of a newspaper ad before we knew better? Wouldn't it have been nice if when we did, we stumbled across a reputable breeder instead of a BYB

"Wouldn't it have been nice if when we did, we stumbled across a reputable breeder instead of a BYB"

YES, YES, YES.
More and more reputable breeders are using the newspaper to advertise, I think it's great. A family member recently found a boxer pup in the paper from a reputable breeder (their first) and is SO pleased that they will always search for reputable breeders in the future. If you put your price out there, that alone will filter out many of the buyers that you may not want to sell to.

I would be very disappointed if a friend of mine withheld very important information about a stud choice i was considering.

My personal opinion - for integrity, i would emphasize the point that you have HEARD about issues with TVD and that you have no fact or proof and refer your friend to those having had the litters with any affected puppies.
It will be off your shoulders, and up to your friend to properly research the lines before the breeding. I'd hate to be the friend that had info withheld only to end up with a litter with health issues that could have possibly been prevented if there is any truth to what you heard.

We are supposed to be protecting the puppies we bring into this world and give them the best possible start in life .

But i'll agree, a public forum is not the place to 'out with it', - go private with your friend and you will be looking out for your friend and those potential puppies.

Again, my personal and honest opinion.
If you say nothing, and there is any truth to it, and the outcome is not good- you will have that to live with knowing that it could have been prevented.

Re: Re: Litter Listings-oops

OOPS- sorry about any confusion- wrong thread !!! will re-post in appropriate one.