Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Treadmill Questions

1)Should the dog Walk or Trot on the treadmill?
2)How long should the dog workout?
3)The treadmill has an Incline setting 1-10 what would be the best setting?

Re: Treadmill Questions

I used a jog-a-dog for years to condition dogs I was showing and really loved it. We set the speed to simulate the actual gait in the ring - usually about 3mph for our large breeds. What you can accomplish with a jogger that is really beneficial is muscle memory and reflex training! Because you are standing still and solid while the dog is trotting, you can correct alignment and other aspects of the exercise. If you jog the dog every day for about a mile (20 minutes) in the absolutely correct position you want in the ring (head and tail carriage, body alignment, topline, etc.) then the dog's body "learns" to gait in that position. Even dogs that are a bit out of balance and would normally sidewind to compensate can be taught to adjust the stride by forcing the dog to stay aligned. They will learn how to compensate so that they don't step on themselves, but stay straight.

I kept mine set to a slight incline, probably 10-15% - it helps to build muscle in the rear. An extreme incline, like 30% or more, makes the dog have to shift its weight to the front and put down the head to climb with each stride. This is NOT the picture you want in the ring!!

Re: Re: Treadmill Questions

Thank you Maureen... my little girl loves it!!! We have her trotting at 3.5 for about 10mins. She jumps off when she done. Next week I will try to get her up to 15 mins that should be a mile.