Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
multiple sires

You know, I've often thought how great it would be to have a litter sired by 2 boys at the same time. Now before you jump all over me, think about it.
Say you have a girl that is at the end of her breeding life & you can't decide who to breed her to for her last time...so, with AKC now allowing mulitple sired litters to be registered w/ DNA testing (tho pricey), this would be an interesting scenario.
Think about this too...take a yellow bitch, breed her to a black dominant male & a yellow male at the same time. All black puppies would be the black dogs, all yellow puppies would be the yellow dogs.
You could have 2 litters at once with only one whelping & rearing.
Here's another question to stud owners: would you allow your dog to be used knowing that there would be another sire involved, but also knowing DNA testing would be done on all puppies?
This is just something that I've thought about before...what's your opinion?

Re: multiple sires

Sure. There are some good reasons to utilize the multiple sire option.

are you willing to pay two stud fees or do you have your own males?
As a stud owner, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they were all tested.

Re: Re: multiple sires

Its done ALL of the time!

As a stud owner, I take $200 at time of breeding and guarantee three live pups. If she has three or more pups, the bitch owner owes the remainder of the stud fee. I'm not sure what my policy would be for a dual sire if the insemination was at the same time. If the bitch had a full litter and my dog's semen looked good, but my dog only fathered two of the pups, do they not owe the remainder of the fee? Dunno. I'd like to hear what others may think of this scenario.

I bred a dual sired litter four years ago, but the reason for the second sire was that the first sire was deceased and upon thaw of frozen, the semen quality was not very good. We did a TCI and let those swimmers have 24 hours to get where they needed to go and then inseminated with fresh semen. She had pups 60 days from the frozen breeding (so our timing was likely right) and all but one pup was from the fresh semen. Since frozen only lives 12-24 hours, we felt we gave it a good shot, but the dual sire ensured a full litter.

There are certainly reasons for bitch owners to do it... will be interesting to hear more from stud owners.

I have experience with this. We purposly did a 'dual sired' litter. Reason was the first dog's semen was SO poor and this was the last hoorah for this lady. Literally did and AI- attached one syringe and then the other to the pipette. So no time delay in delivery.

We did get a pregnancy- 3 puppies. By looking at the puppies I could guess the dad. Talked to the AKC rep at the big Golden Gate shows to make sure I was doing all the paperwork correctly. Told the AKC rep I guessed they were all from the same father (was currently waiting on DNA results). Interesting fact he shared was he guessed 85% of purposly dual sired litters come back all to one dad. He thought something goes on physiologically in the uterine environment to cause this. I thougt to myself then why go to all this HASSLE paperwork and red tape!

Well the 3 puppies were all sired by the same father as predicted.

Also learned don't let any puppies leave until you get your offical DNA results BACK. One of our puppies had to be resampled due to lack of sufficient cells on the swab (and I did work hard at the sampling)- of course it was the one we let go to the pet home. This put me driving 3 hours each way to swab a cheek! The whole litter is held up until all puppies have a DNA profile. So start all this EARLY to have it completed by 8 weeks old.

Would I do it again? Well, can't say never, but I would have to think about it REAL hard with all I learned.

Small litter size breeds (1-3)do it frequently from what I understand. the rep was suprised to hear we did a deliberate labrador breeding this way. I personally think if they would MIX 4-6 from each father would be perfect instead of 8-12 from one.

breeder Im very curious about doing this .Based on what the akc rep suggestion keep the uterus not hostile, would you suggest to make a better chance for two equal sired litters, breed dogs they go back to similar decendents?