Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TPLO

Considering TPLO surgery any suggestions?
My boy has partial tear and weighs 90lbs

Re: TPLO

My 2.5 yr old female (75lbs) had TPLO about 1 year and a half ago! She is doing great. I have finally allowed her to run free-she no longer toe taps or limps. I did a lot of research-it was a hard decision at first so many opinions Here is my advice: Get a board certified surgeon, I believe the key to the success of the TPLO is the after care. I had ramps set up, carpets all over the hardwood, and total confinement for 8 weeks (until the bone is healed. She is a high energy dog and I thought it would be a nightmare-but she adapted and learned the route of being walked on a leash, playing in her kennel and lots of kongs (with lowfat foods stuffed inside-green beans, banannas, oatmeal etc).
I kept her weight down during recovery, from what I hear alot of dogs gain alot of weight during recovery which is not go for the leg. Be patient with recovery-its a good 6 months process-but seeing my dog run and jump in the waves in the beach was worth it!! I had seen too many dogs that had the "traditional" repair reinjure, that is why I went with the TPLO. Good Luck.

Re: Re: TPLO

Our boy had both knees done in 2005. He was about 99# when we did the first one. We didn't have much problems with his activity because he is low energy. Did the first one (full tear) in July 05, he was allowed some extra movement due to excellent healing in Sept, when he promptly tore the other knee (we were expecting it, but not that soon). He went in and got that one done as well. With weight management, he dropped about 10# during his recovery period. He was pretty much healed in about 6 months total. I can't remember when we actually stopped restricting him but he's done so well. You can email me if you want more details or how we managed it.

What happens if both are torn before the surgery is done on the first tear?

Most surgeons will only do one leg at a time. This is due to increased time under anesthesia and resultant increased risk of infection, and difficulty with post-op care.
My boarded surgeon that I use did TPLOs on both legs of a pet bitch out of my breeding. He did the right leg on April 19th, and the left leg May 10th. Post-op care is of course essential to proper healing. Both owners in this case are pediatricians so post-op care was top-notch. They reported to me about 10 days after the first surgery that she was bearing weight on the repaired leg while squatting to pee (probably because that leg was more stable even at that point than the other ruptured leg).
By the day after her second surgery, her dad was slinging her cautiously on the way out the door, and Annie was cheerfully almost running ahead of him! They were beyond thrilled with the results!
So, in this case, bilateral TPLOs done with 3-4 weeks recovery time in between was the way to go!

Thanks for the advise we live in NY and got a quote for 3700 any suggestions about price of surgery

That price sounds about right, it's not cheap but well worth the price for total return to pain-free function of the stifle.

We were in So Cal at the time...$3K per knee. Look into Carecredit, they offer 0% for about 6 months.

My bitch, who just earned her SH title a few weeks ago, had TPLO surgery in August of 2006 (she was just 1 year old at the time) and had just earned her JH title.

The surgery was about $3000 and the 9 weeks of re-hab (water treadmill, etc.) ran about another $3000. She was back in the field again by Jan. 1st. It was well worth the $$ since she is as sound as a dollar all the way around.

She tore 2 threads of her cruciate on a crate when she was about 5 months old (and was sound most of the time during the JH training) so we have never worried about her other leg needing a TPLO. Also, she is a lean girl.

I also contribute her complete success to the wonderful re-hab Vet that worked with her during the 1st 3 weeks following surgery in Wisconsin and then the great re-hab techs here in Dallas that brought her thru the next six weeks.

I would do a TPLO again on a dog with a future that requires it. If the dog is a couch potato I would go with the old fashioned fish wire.

Good luck with your Lab.