Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discharge?!

I'm a little freaked out. Bitch is 29 days post-second breeding, showed some greenish discharge earlier today. Wiped it off and have kept a close eye on her; haven't seen anything since, although it's possible that either she or the dog is cleaning it off. He's interested in her hind end; he just licked her and made a face, as though he had something awful in his mouth.

Do I call the emergency vet or wait and see? Our e-vets are good, but I honestly don't trust them as much as I trust my own - he sees more repro stuff than they do.

Re: Discharge?!

Hey Liz,
Almost sounds like an ecoli infection to me. However you need to see a vet and get a culture and check to see if her cervix closed:)

A greenish color discharge would bother me, if it were clear it wouldn't.... as the other poster said it sounds like e coli and I would get her on antibiotics real quick.
Aloha,
jackie

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but I'm super conservative when it comes to this kind of stuff. Pyometra comes to mind - all of this advice (getting her on antibiotics, etc.) with the exception of "get her to a vet" should be falling on deaf ears. Were she my bitch, she would already be there or failing that at the nearest emergency clinic. If it's pyo a combination of factors can cause you to lose your bitch in a matter of a VERY few hours.

Liz, I wish you would have called me. Please get her to the vet ASAP.

Re: Re: Discharge?!

No further advice to offer, but I do hope you make out ok with your girl. Please keep us posted.

Our fingers are crossed.............

Is she ok? Please post what the vet says.

Update Re: Re: Discharge?!

She seems fine; temp is normal, she's eating fine, she's her usual bright, happy self. There was no discharge overnight or this morning.

Re: Update Re: Re: Discharge?!

What did the vet say? Didn't you take her?

Re: Re: Update Re: Re: Discharge?!

Bitches do not always have an elevated temp with pyo. I would call your Vet just to be certain there is nothing serious going on.......

Any news? I was reading about pyometra and it said "Dogs that are seen early in the disease may have a slight vaginal discharge and show no other signs of illness."

Re: Re: Discharge?!

Yup. There is no further discharge, temp, 'off' behavior, lack of appetite. I had her to the vet this morning; he did an exam and saw nothing of concern. He also did an ultrasound at that time and saw no evidence of infection or any other uterine issues. He did see at least 6 puppies :).

Did your vet see any evidence of early resorbtion of a fetus during the ultrasound? It's nice to read pups were seen.