Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
about kennels

I only breed about one litter every year or two and therefore only have one kennel available to run-on pups. This year, I bred a litter and co-bred another with a friend. I have pups that are 6 weeks old and she has pups that are 8 weeks old. If I pick-up the two pups we will run-on from the older litter and put them in the puppy kennel, can I put a couple from the other litter with them in 2 weeks??? At that time they will be 10 weeks old and 8 weeks old.....are they close enough in age??? At this point I am figuring the answer is MAYBE and it depends on the temperaments and how they get along. Kind of a "take it on an individual basis" kind of thing.....

Re: about kennels

I have found that sometimes the older pups are so gentle with the younger ones, and sometimes they are just a little to rough. I have also found sometimes the older ones are so laid back they let the little ones bully them. Within a few weeks they should all be able to play together, just watch them and see how they play, if they are not playing nice together give them each their own alloted time, then the ones that can't be in would be able to get some one on one time, so it would work great either way. Have fun with those babies!

Re: Re: about kennels

Pecking order will come into play, and you may or may not be able to get by with this. I'd say chances are , NOT. Someone is going to get beat up , and become a "not so confident " puppy. Injuries come to mind .

Re: about kennels

I figure that in a few weeks, it will probably work out. I am definately going to be careful at first though. I may not even try it for a while. I am not worried about injuries that much but more that one will get picked on.