Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judging

Anyone who complains about the judging has no business doing so unless they've actually judged. You don't really have time to look at the handlers, especially in the large classes at specialties. And the handlers keep changing anyway! You examine each dog, you see them move one by one and together, and you make your decision. Without a good steward, you sometimes forget if you are placing a class or picking the winner! Does the handler count? SURE. At the end of the class I'll look down a line of dogs and if there are two dogs I'm deciding between, the one that looks best on that last look will get it. 9 times out of 10 it's got an experienced handler, and that's because they are experts. They make sure the dog looks its best 100% of the time. Inexperienced handlers can really spoil the looks of a great dog.

Another big reason that I have placed dogs in an unexpected manner is for bad bites. You would be amazed. Wry, undershot, multiple missing teeth. You as an "Observer" can't see that.

The AKC wants you to judge a certain number of dogs per hour. And they rate you on it. You have to write down the start and end time in your judge's book. It's FAST. Boom boom boom.

Judging is a big thrill, and I for one enjoy it, even though MOST of the people that show to me won't be happy with my decision.

This is the place for judges to vent. We're people too!

Re: Judging

Thanks for a great post.

Well said "From the middle of the ring".

Re: Re: Handling Counts!

I just witnessed the exact thing
a previous poster just wrote about
at the RDLRC show the other day.
A lovely chocolate boy won his class
but he was giving his handler and judge
a very hard time. he didn't want to
pay attention. A different person took
him in to WD and the change was amazing.
She took this unfocused dog and he
looked like he was trained. he won
RWD I am not sure he could have done that
with the first person

I absolutely ditto what you wrote. I said almost the same thing to an exhibitor last evening (phone call) who was complaining about "all breed" shows because only the "handlers" win. Well, they DO have an edge in that they can usually pick and choose which dogs to show to a particular judge AND know just how to present that dog based on the judge's tastes.

When I was exhibiting, I finished a nice dog one day with BOB and placed second in the group. I did a photo of each win - and it does not look like the same dog in the two photos! One judge liked a posed sloping topline (yes, even on a Lab) and the other wanted the dogs presented free standing. I can do both - and was willing to do so in order to appeal to the different judges, even though I personally don't like the stretched out look of the sloped stack. That sort of knowledge and the expertise to get the most out of a dog is the handler's edge. As an owner-handler, I had to be just as good at it as those who made it their living in order to get my share of the wins.

The judge has less than 2 minutes per dog - and you can't be fussing with your dog when the judge is looking or you lost your opportunity. Preparation and training DO make a difference in what the judge can see in the ring. The notion that a good judge should be able to find a good dog even when it is shown really badly is wishful thinking. It may happen at times, but a dog that is unable to be examined properly or can not gait in a controlled fashion is not likely to win. Sorry.

One other myth that I have heard over and over is that XYZ judge only looks at ABC handler. Hogwash! As in all professions, I am sure there is a certain amount of politics and prejudice. However, in the few years I have been judging, I have yet to hear a judge talk about how great a handler was, but have heard many rave about a dog they had the opportunity to judge. What really makes a judge's day is to have some wonderful, typey dog surprise them in their assignment. Nearly all of them LOVE judging, the breeds they see AND the sport. Most that I have heard chat about judging take the responsibility of selecting future breeding stock very seriously - and don't get swayed by all the glitter even though the name of the game is dog SHOW.

So, in my experience as both an exhibitor and judge, I have found the widespread claims of "politics" to be a convenient myth - convenient for explaining your losses, that is. The most that I notice about the "handler" in my ring is the color of skirt, slacks or jacket. That makes it easier to remember and spot the dogs I liked in a large class

Re: Re: Re: Handling Counts!

Although this has no bearing on judging as obviously I could not comment, I would like to say I also watched this person help the owner of this truly beautiful chocolate boy and take him to RWD. I think it was some of the most amazing sportsmanship I have seen thus far and I made a point of saying so. To have someone of this caliber go up to a new person and offer their assistance because they thought enough of the dog and them to help is what it's all about, what it should be about.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I just had to say that.

As an exhibitor we have Every Right to complain about bad judging. We pay entry fees, work long and hard to produce a typey lab, spend big money on transportation and hotel bills; not to mention loss of time with family and love ones. A typey lab is still a typey lab; this is not a contest about presentation skills. Politics do exist as well as bad judging. There are to many dogs being put up with incorrect fronts, incorrect coats, bad rears,droopy toplines,and unpleasent heads. The last thing any breed needs is an uneducated, unknowledged judge deciding it's fate. Stop focusing on bites and look at the whole dog.

I wish there were more posts from judges. This is great. Really helped me as an exhibitor to be aware of how my dog shows. Helps me not make "convenient" assumptions to explain my losses. That was a really good point someone made. I love reality checks!
I love to see life from someone elses shoes. We all benefit from that.

Re: Re: Judging

>>As an exhibitor we have Every Right to complain about bad judging. We pay entry fees, work long and hard to produce a typey lab, spend big money on transportation and hotel bills; not to mention loss of time with family and love ones. A typey lab is still a typey lab; this is not a contest about presentation skills. Politics do exist as well as bad judging. There are to many dogs being put up with incorrect fronts, incorrect coats, bad rears,droopy toplines,and unpleasent heads. The last thing any breed needs is an uneducated, unknowledged judge deciding it's fate. Stop focusing on bites and look at the whole dog.>>

Very well said and so true. A judge that KNOWS the standard and a typey, well put together Labrador can forget about presentation skills and put the best dog up. Too often that's not what we see. Pro handlers and judges worrying more about presentation than what's being shown are how medicre dogs get finished. It's a game and it's how we have to look at it if we want to continue in the sport of dog showing, an expensive game, but none the less, a game where the best dog doesn't automatically win.

Re: Re: Re: Judging

" Very well said and so true. A judge that KNOWS the standard and a typey, well put together Labrador can forget about presentation skills and put the best dog up. "

That sounds so simple, but it is not the case in real life. A judge that knows the standard has the task of finding those traits in the exhibits offered. If the dog will not stand, will not allow a thorough examination, will not gait on the lead..... how can the BEST of judges determine that it IS typey, well put together or remotely like the standard? You have to judge on what you can see and feel, not on what you "suspect" might be there if the dog would just allow itself to be judged. They don't allow judges to use a crystal ball in the ring.

Just as exhibitors feel they have the right to complain about bad judges, those of us who have spent many thousands of our own dollars in addition to travel and inconvenience to be approved to judge even one breed have the right to complain about exhibitors who do not have enough respect for the sport to invest a bit of time into SOME sort of training on their dogs. It is not fair - or sportsmanlike - to accuse a person of "bad" judging because YOU didn't win with an untrained or badly presented dog. This sport requires that everyone participating do so in a manner that supports good decision making - or there will be some bad decisions. That is the reality in ANY field of endeavor.

I wonder if the judges out there reading this post can share their opinion on how important having a showy/tail waggin dog in the breed ring is to them vs a quiet dog that has better structure and type. In the obedience ring and or a hunt test it just matters if the dog gets the job done!

For me who cares if the tail is waggin isn't it all about the best put together dog in the ring?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

Amen to all of that!

Aint THAT the truth!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

>>As an exhibitor we have Every Right to complain about bad judging. We pay entry fees, work long and hard to produce a typey lab, spend big money on transportation and hotel bills; not to mention loss of time with family and love ones. A typey lab is still a typey lab; this is not a contest about presentation skills. Politics do exist as well as bad judging. There are to many dogs being put up with incorrect fronts, incorrect coats, bad rears,droopy toplines,and unpleasent heads. The last thing any breed needs is an uneducated, unknowledged judge deciding it's fate. Stop focusing on bites and look at the whole dog.>>

Very well said and so true. A judge that KNOWS the standard and a typey, well put together Labrador can forget about presentation skills and put the best dog up. Too often that's not what we see. Pro handlers and judges worrying more about presentation than what's being shown are how medicre dogs get finished. It's a game and it's how we have to look at it if we want to continue in the sport of dog showing, an expensive game, but none the less, a game where the best dog doesn't automatically win.

"That is the reality in any field of endeavor";how can you say that? I'm in the medical profession, if a patient presents to me as uncooperative, hostile, or beligerent I still have to provide him/her with standard of care, not do a hack job because they are not a "good patient"; I'm sure the state board would love that excuse. You're living in Disney World,all judges need to be professionals and deal with the difficulties of their chosen endeavor.

>>It is not fair - or sportsmanlike - to accuse a person of "bad" judging because YOU didn't win with an untrained or badly presented dog. This sport requires that everyone participating do so in a manner that supports good decision making - or there will be some bad decisions. That is the reality in ANY field of endeavor.>>

Anyone who has been showing a while knows these incidences do happen with dogs not cooperating, but from what I've seen, it's an exception to the rule. The majority of dogs I've seen behave as well as to be expected. Remember, you are putting them in a totally unnatural environment, where for the most part they aren't even allowed to be dogs and do what dogs do. Give them a break Judge.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

You did leave off that the uncooperative, hostile, or beligerent patient may not get a speedy, accurate diagnosis - or fast, efficient, appropriate care. Yes, there is a standard of care in medicine and a standard for judging as well. The accuracy of both are undermined and can lead to poor decision making when the individual being examined can not be properly evaluated. I, too, am a medical professional and have seen this happen repeatedly with even excellent practitioners. Again, there is no crystal ball for evaluating important traits with an unruly exhibit - human or animal. If you truly believe otherwise, then you haven't been in medicine as long as I have

Most of the judges I have met and taken the time to know ARE professionals and deal with difficulties you might not imagine in your worst scenario. I wish I could say the same for MOST of the breeders and exhibitors I have met in my many decades in this sport. Over the years, I have repeatedly chatted (as a fellow exhibitor) with owners who lost and couldn't understand why. When I asked how they felt some particular "glaring" trait of their dog fit the standard, MOST admitted that they didn't know what the standard said about that trait. That part of the standard wasn't important to them. I'm sure you would not get that sort of answer from ANY judge of that breed. The middle of the ring is not where I observe a lack of professionalism.

Replying to:

"That is the reality in any field of endeavor";how can you say that? I'm in the medical profession, if a patient presents to me as uncooperative, hostile, or beligerent I still have to provide him/her with standard of care, not do a hack job because they are not a "good patient"; I'm sure the state board would love that excuse. You're living in Disney World,all judges need to be professionals and deal with the difficulties of their chosen endeavor.

in specialty classes anyways, there are usually lots and lots of nice dogs to choose from. if there are several beautiful exhibits wagging their
tails the judge does have the depth of choice so why not use one of the best that is ALSO wagging their tail. how can you possibly pay attention to your dog in the ring AND see all the other entries and be able to judge that YOUR dog is the best and deserves to win
RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Give them a break Judge. "

Don't forget that EVERY judge has first been an exhibitor. They are not "new" to the sport or the problems of the various venues. I know that I give every dog a fair chance - some may even get a better than fair chance - to demonstrate the essence of the standard. It is what all of us expected as exhibitors and I doubt if ANY judge has forgotten what it was like to be on the end of that lead. Again, as the first poster stated, there is limited time and we do the VERY best we can to find that one gem in the ring - even if it is a diamond in the rough

For those who do not know what is required to apply to judge, visit the AKC website and look at the application form. It may alter your attitude a bit.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/RJL003.pdf

I also have a non-wagger in the show ring, but in the obedience ring, that tail gets her into a lot of trouble.

It doesn't seem to be held against her at all breed shows, but I think it does at specialties, though she has placed several times and even made it to the final 8 for breed once. I also know she is not everyone's type, and I try not to make excuses why she doesn't win, she's done her share and I show her, and I am a virtual nobody.

I think a lot of breeder judges look passed a nice dog without that added flair and wag.

But in all fairness, if I were a judge and all things equal, I would be looking for that extra little bit too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

>>Don't forget that EVERY judge has first been an exhibitor. They are not "new" to the sport or the problems of the various venues.>>

Which is why it may be hard to be objective and pay more attention to a good dog rather than an inexperienced handler.

>>I doubt if ANY judge has forgotten what it was like to be on the end of that lead. Again, as the first poster stated, there is limited time and we do the VERY best we can to find that one gem in the ring - even if it is a diamond in the rough>>

You sound like a very fair judge, but let's be honest, that is not ALWAYS the case.

You're contraticting, a practitioner cannot be excellent if they give an inaccurate diagnosis; tell that to the family of the deceased. Oh ya "he was a great doctor but all of his patients died". Dealing with poor patients is a part of it all. But this is getting away from the original subject matter; finding the best dog no matter the presentation.

re: (Not a novice)

Did I mention I thought my dog deserved to win if it wasn't showy? NO. I was simply asking a question to judges to get their thoughts on this?

Ridiculous !!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Handling Counts!

Ok -- so let's have the name of that nice person who helped out a competitor!
With all the negative comments we hear all the time (and you know if someone pulled a shady trick we'd all hear!), let's have the name so we can all publicly applaud a generous deed!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

It is nearly impossible to have a rational discussion when one of the participants uses hyperbole and exaggeration to obfuscate the issues.

First, many excellent practitioners are litigants in malpractice suits every year. Look at the statistics. The only great doctors that I know of whose patients ALL die while under treatment are those who work in hospice. However, you are right on one thing - this has nothing to do with judging dogs and you should not have tried the comparison in the first place.

Finding the best dog is a collaborative effort on the part of the judge and the exhibitor. Both have rules and responsibilities to assure successful participation in this process. The judge has to try to find the best dog: the exhibitor has to try not to hide it.

I am a judge and politics are alive and well and always will be. it's not rocket science.

BUT - yes a wagging dog will win more often under me. It's the overall picture that draws your eye, and a happy up dog is a lovely picture you have a hard time denying. a sad bored dog blends in with the background, and make himself ugly. if there is a PICK ME, PICK ME attitude, I'll do just that. just my personal preference.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

You wrote:
" Which is why it may be hard to be objective and pay more attention to a good dog rather than an inexperienced handler. "

I guess I miss the point. Can you explain what you mean? Having been an exhibitor for at least 12 years, most judges are accustomed to paying a LOT of attention to the dog and almost none to other people in the ring - well, except for maybe the judge

As an exhibitor, I have won groups with a dog that never wagged in the ring and always looked bored with the whole process - he was the smart one of us. I have also lost with dogs that were "too" animated for the judge because they wagged up a storm and didn't "pose" as well.

As a judge (and breeder) I think our breed is usually a happy one. They typically have a "tail told" temperament and at least wave the tail to indicate that true Labrador attitude. It might make the difference in a placement to me as a sign of correct temperament when the OTHER aspects of conformation are a toss up.

In a breed that was designed to work for a living, an unsound dog lacks type. I would not reward an unsound dog with all the attitude in the world over a sound specimen that showed a tractable temperament, but was bored by the show ring. After all, they were not bred to stand still and wag, then trot around a small enclosed space. If you read it carefully, function is the primary focus of our standard. The attributes to do the work have to be more important than a tail wag.

So.... now I have likely opened another can of worms entirely. Sorry.

I thank the judges for their input on this forum but I have to say that most of you are labrador breeder / judges and thankfully can recognise type.
Unfortunately the standard of judging at some all-breed shows is abyssmal and a complete lottery.
I have seen horrible straight fronts, poor movement, lame dogs and completely oversized dogs rewarded too many times. I have also seen judges select at a complete loss for who to pick just put up the biggest yellow dog when all else fails. Too many all breed judges only look for a full set of teeth and a fat tail.
I am much more carefull who I show to these days.

you wrote:
I have seen ... completely oversized dogs rewarded too many times.
I have not seen an oversized dog since the DQ was placed in the standard.... not ONE. Maybe they are shown in other parts of the country (or are you from another country where the size is different??)I have instead seen MANY undersized dogs and bitches alike given the nod without a thought to wicketing.

I finished two brothers that were just over 25 inches tall - over the current standard - before it went into effect. They were not the largest dogs in the ring at the time. By contrast, I am currently showing a 23.5 inch dog (middle of the standard!!!) that has been the tallest in the ring every time shown.

So, as a matter of personal interest, in what geographical location have you seen all of these oversized dogs rewarded so many times? If they are currently being shown and winning, I will know where to show my boy so he won't look so big

I too have never seen an oversized dog win (overdone, yes; oversized, no). I don't think I have ever seen one in the ring. My 23" boy is often one of the tallest males in his class and I have seen many 21" bitches look oversized compared to the other exhibits.

Yes, I have to agree with you, I have a boy who is older and a finished Ch., who is 1/4" over the the low of the standard and he was the tallest dog in the ring and still is? So, were are the tall dogs
I have to laugh with all the fighting with the standard, it backfired! Labradors are as small today then they ever were. I had a boy who was 24" and he finished years ago, right after the new standard. So, yes were are all these tall dogs. Good too hear, but were are they???

Love those smaller dogs. Overdone still a problem.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

You wrote:
" Which is why it may be hard to be objective and pay more attention to a good dog rather than an inexperienced handler. "

>>I guess I miss the point. Can you explain what you mean? Having been an exhibitor for at least 12 years, most judges are accustomed to paying a LOT of attention to the dog and almost none to other people in the ring - well, except for maybe the judge>>

Is that how you avoid statements you don't care to answer? You go on and on in other posts about your experience as an exhibitor, that's what I meant. As for judges not paying attention to the handler's techniques, etc. and pays more attention to the dog, I disagree. I've actually had a judge tell me my boy moved around the ring too close to me. She said, "He's much nicer than that" and gave the points to another dog.

I haven’t been in the breed long and I have seen politics at work. The worst was an oversized bitch that won. And yes she was being shown by a well known handler. She wasn’t a little over the standard either, she was huge! And size wasn’t her only fault. For the most part, I agree that professional handlers have an edge, but an inferior dog shouldn’t be put up because it is presented better. I can take my b*tch and place in my class every time at a specialty but I can’t get WB at an all breed show. I will admit it has more to do with my lack of skill then any fault that she has. What I hate is the “few” judges that think they are “important”! I have even seen a judge yell at a person who made a mistake in the ring. She didn’t move up in line. Luckily it wasn’t me because I probably would have broke down in tears. He really went in to her and she was obviously new and this was at a sporting dog speciality. There was no reason for that!

There is no reason whatsoever for a judge thinking they can raise their voice to anyone in the ring, Ever ! The thought disgusts me, talk about an exagerated sense of one's self ! Puhleeze...this is a dog show we are talking about , there are young men and women dying all over the world, let's keep things in perspective !
Remember who pays the judge, it's us , those lowly exhibitors !

Maybe they don't mean tall. Oversized can be in other ways, right? And I'd have to agree with that comment! And our weight standard is????

Replying to:

Yes, I have to agree with you, I have a boy who is older and a finished Ch., who is 1/4" over the the low of the standard and he was the tallest dog in the ring and still is? So, were are the tall dogs
I have to laugh with all the fighting with the standard, it backfired! Labradors are as small today then they ever were. I had a boy who was 24" and he finished years ago, right after the new standard. So, yes were are all these tall dogs. Good too hear, but were are they???

Re: Another Judges View

Thank You from the newbie who posted the original question regarding showy and tail waggin.

I was at an all breed show last year with my boy that had developed issues with ring shyness. Great outside the ring, but walk into the ring and he's a disaster. I'm not well known and just show from time to time. We had an all breed judge that just about stood on his head trying to get my boy happied up to no avail. Needless to say, he did not win his class but the judge after the class made a point of telling me how nice my boy was and that he could have had the class if he'd have come around just for a minute. Most of the other dogs in his class were with handlers. And, I agree, my boy did not deserve a win that day.

I meant by oversized mostly overweight sadly.
Having said that I have attended 52 all-breed shows this year and I have never seen the wicket used once although I have been tempted to call for it myself I have always held back.
I amk a relative newbie and mentors have advised me that it would upset my fellow lab people and I would be persona non grata very quickly if I started doing that.
As all breed judges seem to go all over the country I don't think the location matters too much, just the panel.

There was a fellow some years ago who took it upon himself to call for the wicket (even under the English judges at Potomac!!!!) Did cause a great deal of hard feelings. Evidently he wanted to prove some kind of point regarding a lawsuit he initiated.

Age Question

To the judges, is it common for a judge to ask a handler while in the ring (when checking bite)how old the enrty is? If so why would a judge ask this question?

I have been told by "a Handler" who did handle for me at one time, that today the Judge will give me this and that in the ring. Sure enough that is exactly what happened. After all, the Judges do depend on Handlers to show up in their ring. A handful of Judges won't know the breed well enough and count on the Pro-handlers showing the best looking dog in the ring. and most handlers will not except a dog that is not worthy of being shown.

I also sat beside a Judge who confessed to me that he will always put up the "middle of the line" dog. Meaning, if a Lab is too spindly, or too typey, he will put up the moderate in between the two extremes.
We can all agree that most all breed Judges will love the better moving dog in our breed.
I do like a good moving dog but I also like that short body typey Lab and frankly the shorter the body the less good movement you will get.
Another point Handlers will know, to move each dog to their best advantage.

It is a "show" and the point is to show that dog well. I have also seen a really beautiful Lab being handled by it's owner and wish he would get a professional to handle it to their best advantage.
I watch Judges in the all breed ring and the point is to "be on" at all times. Never relax the dog since they always take that second look at your dog as the next one is getting into position.
One of the things I just HATE, and this is directed to the "Judges", please give my dog the time they deserve. How many Judges just skim the dogs since they know who they want to place anyway. How many of you have seen the Judge look over to the next ring as you are going around?
Don't tell me this isn't so, just side ringside and watch the Judge and not the dog. You can learn so much.
Some Judges are good and some stink. Like any profession you have the good and the bad. How many of us have a list of Judges we will show under, and those we will not?

Replying to "sad bored dog blends in with the background, and make himself ugly"

I in no way stated that my dog was sad, but bored, lets be honest, for a dog who is trained to do so much more, the show ring leaves a little to be desired.

I don't think dogs who do not wag become ugly, and I would rather a judge put up a nice typey dog who is not wagging for whatever reason then a dog who is wagging, just for that fact.

My dog's tail works, trust me. She is just very business as usual in the show ring.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Judging

You wrote:
" Is that how you avoid statements you don't care to answer? As for judges not paying attention to the handler's techniques, etc. and pays more attention to the dog, I disagree. "

Honestly, I am not trying to avoid anything. I just didn't get your point and asked you to explain it. I don't think judges DO pay a lot of attention to the handlers - good or bad. They DO pay a lot of attention to the DOGS. Unfortunately, a dog can look unbalanced due to the handler - and since judges have had at least 12 years experience exhibiting, they KNOW that problem! If a dog is moving at the wrong speed so that it looks awkward or standing with the nose pointed straight up (which typically puts a dip in the topline and throws the shoulders off) or some of the other more common handling errors, the judge may ask the exhibitor to change what is being done so that the dog can be evaluated more accurately. Sometimes this can result in a dog that looked mediocre suddenly pulling itself together better and looking great. However, if the dog is STILL awkward or swaybacked, then the judge has seen the true dog, not an illusion created by the handler.

" I've actually had a judge tell me my boy moved around the ring too close to me. She said, "He's much nicer than that" and gave the points to another dog. "

In my past experience, it never made me feel the judge was any more intelligent based on comments about why they made a certain choice - usually the opposite. I try to avoid making them and think that is probably a good rule to follow. This judge made you feel that your handling caused your dog to lose, not his quality. I am sorry that happened.

If you feel a "however" coming on, here it is. If your dog is moving very close to your body, that may interfere with his gait and result in a constant "bumping" that makes him look off balance. I have seen it and had it happen to me as well. I know one handler that snubbed a top special right up close to her so his gait returning to the judge was thrown off by bumping her knee repeatedly. It was the only way she could try to hide his awkward front assembly!! Many judges thought it was "handler error" and gave the dog the benefit of the doubt for his other excellent qualities. Some judges didn't reward him because they felt the "handler error" kept the dog from proving his quality. Some very smart judges saw the trick for what it was and were not fooled one bit about the dog's shoulders So, here is the question: Which of these judges were right?

I hope you see MY point. Judges typically only notice the HANDLING when it interferes with evaluating the DOG - it is the dog that is the focus of the attention. Some notice the handling errors and judge the dog as having traits that it may not possess in order to compensate. Some notice handling errors, but judge the dog as if it lacks the traits that the exhibitor may be obscuring. Some of the more innovative or experienced judges find other ways to evaluate the traits that are in question. None of these are BAD judges, but the outcomes under them will be very different.

My boy is a CD SH RN WC and he is on his way to training for MH and CDX. He is also very showy because he LOVEs to be out there. He is never bored. His tail is always going, whether in the breed ring, the field or the obedience ring. It is that temperament that makes him a great working dog and separates him from those that are doing it only because their owners ask it of them. All other things being equal, that is the temperament I want and look for in the whelping box, and at a show with many quality exhibits, I would not want to see a dog without that temperament rewarded.

You wrote:
" We can all agree that most all breed Judges will love the better moving dog in our breed.
I do like a good moving dog but I also like that short body typey Lab and frankly the shorter the body the less good movement you will get. "

I do agree with most of your comments, but wanted to point out that even YOU equate correct Labrador movement with "less good movement" - I would like Lab people and judges to get out of that mentality! What we have to get accustomed to seeing and rewarding is "breed appropriate" movement, which is NOT the same in every breed!!!!!

The Labrador has some unique traits that were selected by the originators for a specific purpose. The loin is shorter, wider and deeper than the other retrievers. That is why our breed does not have a "tuck up" like most others. The balance and proportion DO change the gait and Labs of that structure do NOT move like a Setter!

Many of the dogs that do well at group level with an extended, open gait are noticabely longer than tall (the standard calls for square) and much of the extra length is in the loin (REALLY contrary to the standard) to allow a very extended side gait. Judges that do not clearly understand the REASON why Labs are different will reward these exhibits - heck, even at specialties

However, don't blame the judges entirely - especially those who came from another sporting breed that DOES move that way. Somewhere along their "judge's education" path, it was not explained WHY Labs are different and HOW they are to move. They also can't learn that from the breeders or exhibitors they see in the ring, when there are SOOOO many of the long-loined exhibits being shown. Their logic has to be that if it is not correct, why do the breeders keep breeding it and the owners keep exhibiting it? The eye is trained by what it sees - and many judges never get to see the proper Labrador gait rewarded when they are learning about the breed. We have a self-perpetuating problem.

I don't have the solution - wish I did. I know that breeders, exhibitors, handlers and judge's education presenters are all a factor in changing the perception of what is a correct Labrador gait. It doesn't help when even those who recognize the problem (like the poster I am answering) calls it "less good" ----- it is not only good, it is CORRECT!!!!! We have to change OUR perceptions and attitude before we can change the judges

Which I totally agree with if all things are equal.

I do not like to see inferior dogs rewarded because their tails are wagging.

I have to agree with the above poster about the pick me attitude. A sullen dog doesn't help himself at all. They are not asking for it, they are saying:
you can bypass me and I really don't care. Attitude is everything in the ring (to me). Just look at most of the winners. They have attitude AND type which completes the dog. You really do need that extra "boost" to get a good look from the judges with the competition as tough as it is nowadays.

I agree with Laura. It is a show. The dog should show himself. If two dogs are there and equal but one is just standing there and the other is a happy Labardor, like they are suppose to be. I pick the fun, happy boy. I have had both and I felt bad with the dog that did not wag. I love it when they are full of themself. Stand still for the judging but be happy after that.

Judges do look at the end of the lead more than they should. Way MORE THAN THEY SHOULD!

I have said for years that maybe we should pay extra to get judges to SMILE I have been showing for years and I have to tell you some of the judges look like they hate there "JOB". I would like to see more Judges be happy and look more appreciative of the dogs. Heck a couple of weeks ago, I watched a judge in a different breed, I was laughing , the judge was watching the dogs in the next ring. That was on the down and back and the go around Boy, those exhibitors should have gotten there money back. As a exhibitor, I thought to myself I wouldn't show to this judge, he/she either doesn't know the breed, doesn't care for the breed or is totally bored!
I do know the breed the judge was judging and there were some nice dogs in the ring, if the judge would have quit watching the other ring! So, when we are told too keep the dog up in the ring, the judge is always looking, guess what, the exhibitors are always watching the judge!
Also, judges, would you quit asking the exhibitor "how old is your dog?" Do you guys forget what class your judging? The next judge that I hear that from, I will tell them "OLD ENOUGH TO BE HERE", very nicely of course!

Southland said:
I agree with Laura. It is a show. The dog should show himself. If two dogs are there and equal but one is just standing there and the other is a happy Labardor, like they are suppose to be. I pick the fun, happy boy. I have had both and I felt bad with the dog that did not wag. I love it when they are full of themself. Stand still for the judging but be happy after that.

Yes, it is a show ... but a show of breeding stock, not a show of whoever says "pick me" wins. I don't mean to ignore the rest of your post, but I think it's important that judges and exhibitors remember shows were started to compare dogs for breeding stock. That is supposed to be the reason we are in the ring today. It may be a hobby for most of us today, but it still should have the same basis as years ago to determine the winner.

Well, sometimes the judges ask (in a puppy class) how old the dog is - probably to get a better perspective on size.

I think if you look it up, the judge isn't allowed to ask you anything about the age or anything like that in the ring!

I think exhibitors look at the wrong end of the lead FAR more than judges. When I have asked a judge that I had a big entry what they put up, I get a description of the dogs. When I ask an exhibitor who was there what won, I am told WHO owned the dog or showed it. Neither of these gives me the information I was looking for - the name of the dog so I can look up more about it - but it certainly tells me what was the focus of attention!!!

It is my perception over the years that people who think that judges are looking at the handlers are the sort of people who focus their attention on the handlers. We expect others to think as we do and so attribute to them the same motives we have. Basically, we trick ourselves into believing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Does this mean that there are no politics? Of course not! But if you believed that only the owner or handler mattered, why would you continue to show? I am not that masochistic!

You wrote:
[Also, judges, would you quit asking the exhibitor "how old is your dog?" Do you guys forget what class your judging? The next judge that I hear that from, I will tell them "OLD ENOUGH TO BE HERE", very nicely of course!]

Any dog over 6 months of age may be shown in any class for which it is eligible. Puppies do not have to be shown in puppy class and often are not. Age can make a difference when a young dog is shown in a class with much older dogs. The judge needs to know if a lack of maturity in a BBE dog is due to age or structure. It DOES make a difference!!

Even in the puppy classes, a barely 6-month old can be WAY smaller or different from a nearly 9-month old. They are in the same class, but knowing the age can be a factor in which is the best FOR ITS AGE. I appreciate judges who ask the steward, which is really the preferred method. As a steward I have had to look up the age of a dog many times for a judge. That way the judge gets the informaton to make a decision and the exhibitor isn't repeatedly irritated - like the person who posted the above comment

So, what would you say to a judge who asks you how old your dog is?

I just wanted to share an incident that goes with this thread some. This is after all a competition and many people are either highly competitive or they aren't. Those who aren't tend to go into the ring with a dog, no matter how nice and simply stand there and say here's my dog, what do you think? Where as the competitive person will go out there and say here is my dog, here is my dog, I think he is the best I want YOU judge to think that to! That is the difference between the winner many times.

The incident that I am talking about was where I asked a cobreeder of a puppy that I was showing for someone else at a specialty to show this puppy in sweepstakes for me since I thought that pros could only show their own dogs. Well this puppy won the class. And before Best in Sweeps, I found I could show the dog, but being this was a friend showing the dog I decided to let her continue to show the dog. My mistake. She totally let down and barely tried to get the dog to show for her even though this puppy was pulled for the final Best in Sweeps lineup! When she came out of the ring I asked what was up and she told me, well there were other dogs out there that were better than this puppy so it didn't matter! HUH????? Her opinion wasn't the one that mattered to me, it was the judges opinion. Had I been on the puppy still or someone else who believed in this pup, there may have been a different outcome. Who knows, but with that attitude, many times that will keep a good dog from winning. So needless to say I will never ask this friend to show a dog for me again whether they are a cobreeder or not. BTW the cobreeder never liked this puppy and it was the other cobreeder who owns this pup and had a huge disagreement over that litter as coownerships go. But this puppy has since then gone on to win big so regardless of what that cobreeder thought this is one nice dog!

And just remember it's the entire dog being judged, not just a front or a rear or a topline! The first thing the judge sees is the outline, which must be pleasing and balanced and if there is a nice tail straight off a strong level topline, nothing could be more pleasing! But it's all a give and take and personal preference.

Okkkkkkkkkkkk. It is very simply to win or loose, It is your choice.
To many thoughts on why my dogs looses. Think about his happiness and enjoy your job showing, If he is a good dog he will win. Bring him to many judges, keep record. If he is in the ribbons 1st and 2nd place geezzzzzzz bring him again. Maybe youll get rwd or rwb. maybe youll win.If he leaves you in last place. I would not go back to that judge. JMO.
Dont go to large big shows unless it is close to home. I would only go to large shows and big entrees with supported or specialities of your breed.
You can check with dog show supt. for show entrees. small point shows are very important. These shows are fast and 1 or two points. try getting your points by yourself. You can always have the dog finished by a pro. Trust me if you are worried more about the politics more then showing get out of dog show business. It is here to stay. Also I have always breed to dogs that are used often in the breed world, They are usually very well established lines and their lines are much in the ribbons. I dont mean popular, well known kennels. You are bringing dogs into the ring for future of the labrdor retriever,You will get ( hopfully) what you need to improve your lines and may get you into the ribbons or a CH. Dont run or breed to the dog next store so to speak. get yourself a true Mentor!! Dont knock the handlers,They are professional and work very hard at their job, It is a huge responsiblity. I know if I judged I would never pass up true beauties in the ring.That is Im sure what 99.9% judges will do. They care much for the breed.

Thank you for your answer, that is what I know to be true, but like you said it is best for the judge to ask the ring stewart, not the exhibitor
The dogs that I'm talking about were in the correct class "puppy" 6-9 and 12-18 classes. What I forgot to mention the judges will ask allot of the exhibitors in the ring in the same class. I would rather them to say, HI! and what a sweet boy or girl! Some of the newbie people are really nervous and the questions really get them more nervous! When you have a class in the ring and the dogs look the same size and there is nothing out of the ordinary, the judge should be able to see what is there. Just my observation of things and yes, I have great respect for judges even if they looked bored or whatever. I just thought that some of there comments are uncalled for and they should SMILE more often It helps break the ice if you know what I mean. People get pissed enough at judges for different stupid reasons, but I think having a happy or pleasant judge would make more people less angry! It works both ways!

I have to say that one judge asked me that and I drew a total blank! I remembered that the dog was in 6-9 class, so I said 8 months. I think I had a youngster that was acting up or something made me nervous, but when I got out of the ring, I had to look it up and I was hoping that the judge didn't, because the puppy was just 7month

It is a little easier to tell if a dog has substance/coat or if it is out of shape when the dog is on the move. A well-conditioned dog of substance is still going to move freely without rolls over the shoulder. It is not going to be panting for its last breath on the up an back.

We are supposed to be showing our vision of ideal, and at a minimum, the ideal dog can go from the show ring to the field with ease. A dog that cannot physically do this should not be rewarded that day. This is a working breed.

The U.S. has one of the most out-of-shape populations in the world and unfortunately we are passing this on to our dogs. It is a shame.

What's wrong with just telling them? Whether they are "allowed" to ask or not is irrelevant. You won't win any points with them by pointing that out.

Wow, that is really to the point! Now we have to watch commercials on TV for weight loss in our fat labradors this thread is getting really out of hand

I'd like to thank all of the judges comments in this thread. Chalk it up to being basically an older newbie but I feel like the day I can't walk out the ring with a smile and Thank you to the judge regardless of how I place is the day I will reconsider showing my dogs. I enjoy so much I think I would just about walk into the ring with ANYTHING just for the fun of competition. I'm sure all the old pro's would roll there eyes and gasp at the that thought, but gosh, any day of competition with one of my dogs is a GOOD day in my opinion.
I have judged horses, and I've judged livestock. I completely understand most judges point of views. There are days I've walked out a class and a friend of mine might say, "that wasn't the best horse in the class" and my reply usually is "but it was the best horse in the class today!"
Why? Because I either saw something that put the best in second and saw something that put second to first!

My first dog show experience as an adult years ago was such a positive one, I haven't been able to stop yet.
I showed a black bitch in a novice class, freaked out when I got there saw the catalog and noticed i was the only one in the class. Thank the lord for a gracious judge who took a moment to talk to me while going over the ONE bitch entered in the class with 100% of his attention! Turned a panic newbie into a relaxed exhibitor in 2 seconds.
I had a lot of positive show experiences and a few that weren't, but when all was sad done and I don't remember blaming any but myself

As for judges talking or asking questions to exhibitors, the dog show world is one of the few where it's taboo.

It's just my opinion but no matter what your showing in the only think I know for sure is complaining about who's on first never changed anything, just added worry lines.

Re: Annomouse

Well said!!

Replying to:

Yes, it is a show ... but a show of breeding stock, not a show of whoever says "pick me" wins. I don't mean to ignore the rest of your post, but I think it's important that judges and exhibitors remember shows were started to compare dogs for breeding stock. That is supposed to be the reason we are in the ring today. It may be a hobby for most of us today, but it still should have the same basis as years ago to determine the winner.

Of course the flip side of the dogs that are constantly wagging like crazy are often dogs that are impossible to live with in a normal home situation. Those dogs bounce off the walls and drive me crazy! I've seen it first-hand - local breeder whose dogs always show the whole time they're in the ring, but in the house they are total maniacs - just too much energy for me - I prefer a more laid-back dog that isn't constantly flying around the room!

well, said!!! Thank you.

Lab Man, all things being equal, I agree with you. However, there are so many times that a dog is put up because he/she is wagging so furiously but that is almost impossible to see how poorly made they are. I find it sad that so much emphasis is put on a tail wag when we have so many more important things to correct or try to breed for than a maniac tail. I, too, think it's important to select exhibits that reflect the standard ... the whole standard including a lot more than a tailwag.

Some dogs that wag their tail like crazy in the ring and are super crazy outside (running in circles, retrieving like mad, etc), but the minute you get them in your house, they settle down and sleep at your feet, so not all are impossible to live with.

quoted from Mary Roslin Williams.....

"...tails outstretched without help and wagging gently, but not for me those wildly lashing, grinning, bouncing maniacs and they becoming all too common. They may make great showmen and continue to show when the quieter dog has packed up, but were their owners to try and train them, then they might realise how impossible the task. A steady level temperament makes for a good shooting dog and pleasant pet, not the brainless grinning idiot."

Also the back of the reprinted version of MRW's book has a table of sizes of some past greats. I felt validated when I looked at it and found all measured out of today's silly size standard in the US. Of the data on some past great names- males were averaging 21". Also what is 'in standard' in the US includes a window that measures out in other countries. As technology allows the world to become smaller you think everyone would get on the same page.

reply to:
there are so many times that a dog is put up because he/she is wagging so furiously but that is almost impossible to see how poorly made they are.

If a judge can't tell a dog is poorly made, wagging or not, they don't deserve to be judging. Judges certainly don't judge by "Wag" only. But it is definitely an added bonus.

showy/waggin vs quiet

Thanks to everyone who gave their input on the above question, I appreciate the feedback. It was very interesting to read many of the responses,it's clear that many have different thoughts on temperment. I'll stick with even and quiet.

To the person who was frustrated about the handler showing your dog and you as the owner evaluating what's in the ring when you're sitting ringside isn't what this thread is all about? It's all about perception, and maybe your perception outside the ring is not the same as the judges???