Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ears Again, Sorry

Hi,

I've been trying to find the ratio of water to listerine for ear cleaner. Can't find it in the search on the forum.
Can someone refresh my memory?
It's that age thing again!

Donna

Re: Ears Again, Sorry

Laura's site has the best receipe:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

The stuff on the woodhaven site is good stuff. I've been using it for over a year now. It has helped a lot as a preventative.

I use the Purple Power solution for my boy that has bad ears.

I think the ratio for the Listerine/water ear wash is 50:50.

1/2 cup listerine (original gold formula)
1 tablespoon boric acid
keep in a sqeeze bottle and shake well before each use

I use the blue power ear treatment, and makes miracles, even on dogs with history of cronic ear problems, any breed. Also check your food ingredients to much grains (wheat, corn or soy) creates this problen as well other allergies. Just google "blue power ear treatment"

Re: Re: Ears Again, Sorry

I don't think it's the food. I feed Evo.

Donna

Maybe you should have the vet swab the ear to be sure you know what you are treating. I have a girl I treated for a week (thinking it was yeast). She was still shaking her head and scratching, so I had the vet look under the microscope. The bacteria had to be cultured and she has pseudonomas, which is difficulat to treat.

She can thank her uncle for this - he's always sucking on her ears and we think that is how she got it.

If you are looking for a cleaner in general and not to clear up an infection try this - works great for us.

1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, 1/3 alcohol or witch hazel. Shake before each use. Can work for yeasty ears too as the alco./w.h. work as a drying agent. Yeast thrives on moisture.

Vinegar(used externally)has antifungal properties so it's a nice addition to an ear cleaner.

A really good hint that someone once told me about apply ear solution -- soak a cotton ball with the solution and squeeze that into the ear. Sure beats the fluid going all over the place when your dog shakes its head!

Johanne

Re: Re: Ears Again, Sorry

Thanks for all the replys.

Donna