Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How often can you deworm?

I currently have a litter of 4 week old pups. I dewormed them for the first time last week, when they were 3 weeks old. I usually see very few to no worms after a deworming in my pups, but with these guys, it was horrible! A few hours after I administered the Strongid, they were all pooping clusters of roundworms. I usually wait 2 weeks in between wormings, but since it was so bad, I did it again exactly one week later. Still some worms showing up, although not near as many. I've also dewormed their mother twice. How often could or should I be deworming them to get rid of this? I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want my babies full of worms. TIA!

Re: How often can you deworm?

You should try Panacure, 1cc for every 4 lb, 3 days in a row, even helps with coccidia. I use Nemex II at 2,3,4,6 weeks and Panacure just before they go to their new families.

Don't give puppies Panacur before 6 weeks of age.

Re: Re: How often can you deworm?

OMG you could have been talking about my litter. I wormed the bitch just before mating then again very late in the pregnancy. The resulting puppies have been wormed every week since birth and the worms they produce every time is horrible, I have NEVER seen worms like it in fact I lost one and I am certain it was through worms, I wormed them and she purged this huge pile of worms and stopped eating, 2 days later I wormed her again and again this hugh pile of worms, in the end I had wormed her 4 times over a week and every time a huge pile of worms, I have never seen any thing like it. The only source of re infection would have had to been their mother so I wormed her AGAIN (3rd time in 2 months, I am about to worm the pups again so time will tell if we are winning the war, but in all my years of breeding I have never seen worms like it, the tablets must be working because all the worms are dead so not sure what is going on, but not very nice at all.

Panacure is safe for pregnant bitches, as well for pups even at 3 weeks because is depending the weigth, my vet and mentor recommended. I only used it in one litter about 4 weeks old, and didnt have any problem

Been using fenbendazole(panacur) for 8 years. I never had a problem. I have used it at 4 weeks old but changed to 5-6 weeks.Same dosage as Simply Liz.
Can you explain BDR why not to give panacur before 6 weeks?

I am giving my 7 1/2 week old girls Panacur over the next 3 days. I have never had any problems with it. I guess I will hold my breath and see what I get after 3 days. The first round of Nemex was good!!

Re: Re: Re: How often can you deworm?

My old vet always had me worm my bitch for 3 days in row with Panacur after she whelped and to worm the puppies at 2,3,4,6,and 8 weeks. As long as I worm my girl as well I haven't had any problems. It was explained that the worms are encysted into the mammary tissue and the stress of labor sends signals and they migrate. And we don't need to go into keeping everything clean...

Re: Re: Re: Re: How often can you deworm?

My last litter was very wormy. Mother was on Heartguard through out pregancy. Some females just carry more worms than others. The worms, I believe are in the mammary glands. THe big thing I was told by a long time breeder is not to wait until 3 weeks. The worms have a 10 day cycle. I wormed this time at 2 weeks, and each week after until the stool samples were cleared of worms. I had no worms this time. Be careful of worming too much, it is not good for their little systems. I used Nemex 2, and droncit before they go home. Just remember for next time, worm at 2 weeks and every week after, and you won't have the worms reach maturity. Good luck, it's not the endof the world,just gross to us!