Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Food for Labs

I am sure that this question gets asked often - but this is my first time on this site and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info...

I am looking for a good quality food for my two labs, one of whom has a fairly sensitive stomach. We have been feeding them Diamond Lamb and Rice, but I was recently informed that the quality might not be as good as I thought. I do need to consider the price of the food as well as the availability. I usually try to buy from local stores... but something that is widely available would be great.

Opinions, please. Thanks!

Re: Best Food for Labs

Well I find each Lab is different. You never get to feed all out of the same bucket. I really like to stay away from corn. You have to do your own food trails to see what works best. You could ask your breeder what has worked best for their line. :)

Re: Re: Best Food for Labs

Good idea - for some reason I think they fed them the Royal Canin. I don't think I could find the breeder for the lab with the sensitive stomach... that was an impulse buy. Our younger one was a more thought out investment and is a Dickendall lab...which is where I got the link to this website.

Re: Re: Re: Best Food for Labs

We've just switched from Chicken Soup (made by Diamond) to Diamonds Ultimite Althete
32% protein 26% Fat 470Kcal per cup
My one girls is a hard keeper..4 cups a day holds her in good weight.
Coats look fantantic..my very light yellows coats have a much deeper sheen. Price wise on a good sale(25% off everything in the store LOL) 22.50 for 40lbs..normally 30.00 at one place and 35.oo at another.
KayGee

The above poster is very correct - different foods work for different dogs. Currently I'm using Canidae and really like it. They have an AllStage formula which I use. Some friends have tried the chicken and rice or lamb and rice for dogs with more sensative stomachs and really like the food. Here is their site: http://www.canidae.com/

RAW is best if you can afford it.

If your dogs are doing well on Diamond with no problems, why rock the boat? It may well be the best food for your dogs.

I think the fact that my dogs did horribly on Canidae supports the fact that each dog is an individual - but wouldn't it be easier if there was a "one size fitls all" food?

I've been on a food hunt for the last two years, trying to educate myself about dog foods, ingredients, quantities to feed, qualities, brands.

I stumbled upon this site and for me, it has been extremely educational and informative. This is the site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

It analyzes most nearly every brand and type of kibble and ranks them into 6 quality levels. What I like most about it is that it breaks down the various ingredients and explains the good, the so-so and the poor ingredients and why. If you read enough reviews, you will get a pretty good feel for what's good in a dog food and what is filler and is problematic. It will also be a real eye opener on the ratings of several major and well-known brands of kibble.

I currently am on a rotational feeding schedule, feeding several brands, probably three different types over the course of a year. Over the past two years, I have fed Canidae All Stages, Canidae Chicken, California Chicken and Rice Puppy, California Chicken and Rice Adult, Innova Adult and now Innova EVO Red Meat, all with varying results. For the next year, I have decided to feed grain-free since my girl has mild allergies.

I believe it to be the absolute truth that all dogs react differently to different foods. My personal philosophy is to feed a high quality food and rotate to get good results.

So far, in my quest for the perfect dog food, EVO Red Meat has been the best.

I initially wouldn't shy away from a higher quality food because of the cost. Many of the popular foods indicate that I should be feeding between 3-4 cups for my girl. On EVO she gets 1 and 3/4 cups per day...and has even put on a bit of weight. The higher quality foods tend to be more nutrientally dense than the lower-tier foods, so you can feed less which will bring your costs per feeding in line with the less expensive foods. Many dog owners would rather feed higher quality with the hope of having an healthier dog with hopefully fewer vet visits.

Aside from mild allergies, my girl is thriving and is extremely healthy.

Hope this helps....but be sure to check the kibble site.

All of the Pro Plan formulas have something for everyone. It seems like a very popular food for Lab breeders. The sensitive skin and stomach formula doesn't have any corn wheat or soy. Small firm stool, good coats, nice ears. At least in my experience.

"Raw feeder for 3 years" is posting their opinion and NOT a fact, this has not been proven.

Quote: "RAW is best if you can afford it."

Have just found what looks like it might be a good food for my seniors. It is AvoDerm Senior. No corn, low calorie and a joint formula with what looks like an adequate amount of glucosmine/chondrodin. Has anyone had experience with this food? It is made by Breeders Choice.
Thanks for any help.

You will get dozens of different answers to your question, but I have all 5 of my dogs on Nature's Variety and it is working well for them all.

Erin,
Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a dog food comparison chart I put together last year when I was researching this very question. It is helpful to see the ingredients listed side by side.
Stacey

Stacey. That would be a good thing to post on your webpage. Why not?

Fran,

IMO the Avoderm Senior is not high enough in protein at 20% for a senior/less active (possible arthritis or in the future) dog to maintain muscle mass which aids joints, tendons and ligaments.

While the 10% fat is good for a senior, I would find a food that is at least 26% protein for senior dogs.

As to the OP question - as stated - each dog is different.

I have been researching dog food for 14 years and am now feeding grain free Natures Variety Instinct.

I stay away from corn, wheat, soy, sorghum and by products. (This is my choice so please lets not debate the by product issue).

You want the first ingred. to be a protein source and preferrably a meal (chicken meal rather than just chicken).

Ingred. are listed by weight and chicken has water where chicken meal does not.

Also - example: Chicken meal, brown rice, ground brown rice, brewers rice, etc....

If you weighed all the rice together it would most likely outweigh the lamb and therefore, you are feeding mostly rice rather than protein.

Hoping you can find what works for your dogs.

We just love Canidae at our house, but not all dogs do well on all foods find what you like and go with it.

For every food someone loves, someone will hate. This topic comes up so often it is comical.

CORN vs no corn

the #1 dog food iin the world is OLD ROY. And to anyone's knowledge, it has not caused cancer, bad coats, poor eyes or any such thing.

A dog will eat dead carcasses and be fine. COME ON PEOPLE, stop the insantiy

CANIDAE - jeepers, if you like dry coats and flatulant dogs, buy it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyXqX7XJWY
watch this if you have "high speed."

Royal Canin's labrador retriever 30

Comercial da Royal Canin, em inglês, da ração específica para labrador (Labrador Retriever 30). é absolutamente a melhor ração para retriever do labrador. Assista e descubra porque.

Thank you to everyone who replied - I understand that this is probably one of those topics that comes up so much it gets annoying! You were all very helpful to a new poster. I appreciate it!

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Best Food for Labs

i don't know why there's a sad face... sorry. it should be happy! that's what i get for trying emoticons.