Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indigestion in a 2 wo pup

I have a litter of 3, everything was ok until today, the biggest pup 2.5lb at 12 days old, has a big belly, hard, very distended, lethargic, mowning, of course not eating, goes pee but doesnt poop. I geve him Mylacon drops for gas in infants, 2 edemas, as prescrive by my vet, and he only is throwing up the milk as a cottage chess. Any suggestion, please help. Sorry my spelling I havent slept for 3 nights in a row.

Re: Indigestion in a 2 wo pup

JMHO but I would be sitting on the doorstep of the vet office. Could be a blockage, no poop is not a good sign. Backing up causes multiple problems, see the doctor! JMHO and Good Luck.

Re: Re: Indigestion in a 2 wo pup

My vet says there is nothing else he can do other what Im doing. Has somebody gone thru this.

Are you sure he doesn't have a case of bloat? That would be my concern. I can't imagine what type of blockage a 12 day old puppy could have, but I agree that you should be at the vet!

If your vet says he can't do anything and doesn't want to see the pup I would take the pup to another vet. This sounds serious and I too thought possible bloat and can't imagine what could cause a blockage in a nursing pup other than a birth defect but then you would have seen this problem before now I would think.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

Are you giving him warm water enemas? If so, are you getting stool to come out? I've had some pups overfeed. Are you supplementing them or are they just drinking the dam's milk? If supplementing, it could be too rich. Is the puppy dehydrated? Dehydration goes with constipation and can cause the gut to stop working. Can you give sub-q fluids or oral pedialyte? How about some castor oil (or even olive oil is safe) to get things moving? Just a few drops on the tongue.

I don't know how young they can get intussusception but if you aren't getting any stool out and he's throwing up curdled milk, it sounds like there's something stopped up.

Good luck finding a new vet!

we are taking the pup to another vet, to get an xray, I tried enemas, and no poop came out. I tried Magnisium Milk as a laxative and nothing happend other that trhouing up. I tried to make him nurse, totally apatic, momma keeps cleaning him. I've been keeping hydrated SQ lactated rings, keeping him in a warming box, and there he is moving a little, mowing a little and no poop. I'm gonna try the olive oil. I'll keep you posted.

I tried everything in my hands, the olive oil, and I was trying to tube feed some pedialite when he went in shock and died in my hands. It's been such a long day and night, crying about BOB and Roberto and trying to bring back to health this pup, I'm exhausted, thanks all of you for your info it's alwasys nice to know you have people to count on. Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

RIP little one.

I am so sorry you lost the puppy. I hope the other litter mates are doing ok.

Thanks. The other littermates are doing great, turning them around to avoid to flatten, big fatties.