Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GAS!

Can someone tell me how to stop an old dog from getting such bad gas? She is with me for 2 months. I think her owners didn't really go away but needed a vacation from all the flatulence. I emailed them asking if she was flatulent at home and the answer was yes, and is getting worse as she ages.
I am now feeding her I/D and adding a powder called Flor..something or other that is sort of like culture found in yogurt. (From my Vet)
She is well and enjoys life and very happy to eat her meals which I have now been giving 4 small meals instead of two larger ones.
She was on Solid Gold dog food all her life. It's been two days now on I/D and she still does the same thing.
My Vet thinks it is just how she digests her food. Maybe someone out there has some ideas?
Her bowel movements are a bit soft but not diarrhea.
Whew I sure want this to stop.

Re: GAS!

Put her back on her regular food and give her a daily dose of beano's before she eats.
Aloha,
jackie

The only food I've ever been told by people that stops the gas is by a company called Flint River Ranch.
Any of their formulas. For some reason they digest well. It already has digestive enzymes in it, digestive herbs, yogurt, and highly digestible ingredients. Also, no ash.
They don't have any ingredients that would be hard to digest, also no corn (which dogs can't digest well), or glutten. No additives. All-natural.
YOu can order by calling 800-704-5779. Use customer order code # MMT4, then will assign you your own customer number after that. I've recommended this food now for 6 years.
The puppy and adult kibble code is "dog 40"
the trout and sweet potato forumula is "FNC 40".
They don't even charge shipping for this food!
They also have a senior kibble.
AS with any food change, do it GRADUALLY.
Best of luck...if that does not work, Yankee Candles are wonderful!

Just give thanks that she is not a Clumber!

Beano for sure tomorrow, thanks! I'll keep her on the bland diet for now but will let you know if the Beano works.
You guys are too funny.
Thanks.

Beano!

Re: Re: GAS!

Also elevate her food and water dishes so that she's not gulping so much. If she's an older dog that does alot of panting....she will be gulping alot of air from that.

Personally, I would put her back on her regular food. Solid Gold is a good quality food and I would much prefer my dog eat that than the stuff your vet switched her to. Digestive enzymes such as Prozyme should help, as will probiotics. According to my holistic vet, it is best to feed probiotics that are kept refrigerated. These can be found at your local health food store.

Carbohydrates (long molecular chains) cause gas, not protein! If her food has to have carbohydrates, try changing to a different carbohydrate.

I agree with all the post. It could be a simply as diet. Dont change everything at once. If My dogs eat lamb, major big gaser with /garlic in diet..

from Chem class was correct - it's the digestion of carbs (fiber) that causes the production of methane. It's produced by the beneficial bacteria doing their thing so that these molecules can be broken down. I vote for BEANO!

As we age we will probably have the same problem, imagine our DH's or DW's tolerating the scents. I hope the posters helped you & your old timer out with their suggestions.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Can someone tell me how to stop an old dog from getting such bad gas? She is with me for 2 months. I think her owners didn't really go away but needed a vacation from all the flatulence. I emailed them asking if she was flatulent at home and the answer was yes, and is getting worse as she ages.
I am now feeding her I/D and adding a powder called Flor..something or other that is sort of like culture found in yogurt. (From my Vet)
She is well and enjoys life and very happy to eat her meals which I have now been giving 4 small meals instead of two larger ones.
She was on Solid Gold dog food all her life. It's been two days now on I/D and she still does the same thing.
My Vet thinks it is just how she digests her food. Maybe someone out there has some ideas?
Her bowel movements are a bit soft but not diarrhea.
Whew I sure want this to stop.

I just have to say it, your post gave me the laugh for the day I needed! Thanks!!

Poor girl. You might check a stool for giardia? It's hard to culture for, but it does cause dogs to be flatulent.

How about a nose plug until the two months are up? :)

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

Lord have mercy! No, the Beano doesn't seem to work. I have her back on her own food with Pepto Bismol before eating then two Beano' with her food. Different day and a different odour....
Last resort is a nose plug, and counting the days.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

If beno doesn't work then I would suspect a parasite as Leslee has suggested.

Nope......been pharting since she was a teenager...she is now 12 years old. Normal stools and been given a bill of health.
The owners said she is getting worse as she ages. Mystery huh?

Try a lttle apple cider vinegar with her food, maybe she needs aittle ph adjustment. cider vinegar taste alittle better then the reg. watch for explosion lol

I'm writing again just to let everyone know and maybe this will help others with the same problem.
The Apple Cider Vinegar did do the trick. I am still using the Beano but untill I added the Vinegar it didn't work. So I add 1 tbsp per meal. Now we have 90% less gas! Thanks everyone.

Thats great news. I recommend ACV for a number of things and now I can add GAS to the list.

So glad you are getting some relief and the green is leaving your gills LOL

Im sooooooooooooo happy the gaser is a gonner,lol, My Husand is from Italy and it is always used to aid is digestione problems, It is on the dinner table like table salt, and the wine as well.lol. Seriously, my sister who raises horses, recommended to me for gas too.! She regulary gives it to her horses . Makes great coats on dogs. here she blows