Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raw/No wheat feeders - Dog biscuits

For those who feed raw or no grain what do you feed for treats? Example when you want to give a milkbone for a treat?

Re: Raw/No wheat feeders - Dog biscuits

I know that Evo makes a grain free dog biscuit....I have used them....dogs love them but so far I have only found them in the small bags(20 ounces).....I wish they sold the 25 pound boxes !! The price is around $5.00 per bag.

That is what I found when I went looking. Very expensive treats. Today I am baking sliced beef heart to mabybe use. First boiled in water. Sprinkled with garlic. Sliced and now baking. Gave dogs sample they love it!

We give our girls chicken feet. They are high in natural glucosamine/chondroitin. They also get whole
carrots for treats.

Re: Re: Raw/No wheat feeders - Dog biscuits

I dry my own liver or beef hearts with garlic too.
Or buy Benny Bullys dried liver(expensive) or for a more substantial snack I get the bried beef tendons which are a great chew.
Chicken feet are a great snack and beef neck bones a great recreational bone.
If you can get deer antlers they are the BEST

Not sure if I could watch my guys chowing down on chicken feet! Too funny! :)

Thanks for ideas. :)

I feed raw & I don't worry about the treats. But Solid Gold makes a wheat free treat Cinna-bone, actually I think all the treats are wheat free but contain some kind of grain.

Hey, I remember chicken foot soup at my Grandma's house! If it is good enough for me to eat, then my dogs should do well on it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Not sure if I could watch my guys chowing down on chicken feet! Too funny!

Thanks for ideas.

Where would I buy chicken feet ?? Are they raw, cooked or dried ?? I think maybe I have seen some at our feed store....they look like they were smoked....are this kind safe ?? I have always thought that the smoked pig ears were bad. I know of a Labrador that got an esophageal laceration from eating one....probably swallowed most of it whole !! It took several months for it to heal and cost thousands of dollars in Vet bills.

If you have a china town near you or a chinese supermarket. That is where I get my chicken feet.

I use a variety of things. I use Evo biscuits as well as California's small health bar but they do have rice in them. Also use Cranz's Real Meat treats and Plato's Organic Chicken stripes. Nature's Logic makes a small biscuit nice for training that uses rice.

LOL - we give the dogs the chicken feet when we butcher our chickens (we did our last 12 of the year last weekend). It's just too funny seeing a dog with a chicken foot sticking out of his mouth! I even gave some (under direct supervision) to my 10-week old puppies - it's amazing to see them grab them and immediately start gnawing away.

(if)you can slice sweet potato, you can dry them in your oven at a very low temp for several hours, they get hard

turkey hotdogs aren't too bad, slice thinly, good for training treats. i have sliced them and put on a papertowel in the microwave for a few minutes (covered) to get the moisture out of them and they are cleaner to handle when cooked this way, won't mess up your treat bag. they don't splatter like regular hot dogs in the micro.