Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Eye Checks

Question for those who have done eye checks in puppies. I see the normal age of checks being done at 7 or 8wks. Does it make a difference in results if checks were done in a litter that was 6wks of age? (Eye Clinic in the area at that time)

Re: Puppy Eye Checks

My ACVO vet will not do eyes at 6 weeks and wants them really as close to 8 weeks or after.

Re: Re: Puppy Eye Checks

Same here. The youngest he will check is 7 weeks, but he prefers closer to 8 weeks.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Puppy Eye Checks

As part of my retinal folds study, we had one litter examined multiple times by Dr. Miller at UW Madison vet school. The patterns did not change between 2 and 10 weeks.

Between 7 and 8 weeks is the only recommended time. Too early or too late you can miss the folds.

Most vets who have seen puppies will know the difference between PPMs and folds, but some do not. My vet prefers to look between 8 and 10 weeks, up to 14 weeks. It all depends on the person looking and how often they see puppies. Not all ACVOs are equal!

Thanks for the replies! I will speak to the ACVO and see what his take is on it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy Eye Checks

I just reread my own post. It should have read that the pattern did not change between 6 and 10 weeks. Obviously we were not examining eyes before they had properly opened! Sorru about that!

Re: Re: Puppy Eye Checks

I've done them as early as 4 1/2 weeks but the ACVO requires the drops to be in longer to assure proper dilation.

As he said, he does sheltie eyes for CEA as puppies so Labrador eyes at a young age are very similar or even bigger.

Re: Re: Re: Puppy Eye Checks

Received an answer from the ACVO and he said he recommends checking and has done so for years between 6-8wks, and has done them as young as 4wks of age. So I guess it just boils down to each individual ACVO and what they prefer to do. Thanks again!