Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Waiting for heat

All you who have had bitches for years, is there anything to worry about or is it just the lovely life of dogs, but I have a bitch who's cycled every 6-7 months for her last 3 heats, and now that we are ready to breed her...nothing. She's had her general health check up, all is well. Hubby jokes that she is too thin and lost her cycle. I know I just need to wait, but is this common that when you are finally ready, they stall????

Re: Waiting for heat

Yep Jen just went through bout the same thing. My bitch always came in every 5 mos. Then 5 came and went. Until a couple of weeks ago. She is at the breeder. I hope getting the job done.!!!!

Also Thanks for those coupons. Will Diffently help.

Re: Re: Waiting for heat

How long did you have to wait after your 5 months? My inlaws just moved in so maybe she's "stressed" even though she knows them and all that. She also went through a bout of vomiting and runs, which just cleared up, so maybe once she feels better?

You are welcome for the coupons. When I get my 2008 batch, I'll send a few more!

I actualy have a girl that only has one season a year. She comes in once every 10 to 14 months.

I have heard of that, but was looking for some experience with a bitch that normally comes in every 6 months or so and suddenly is later than she ever has been before...

Re: Re: Re: Waiting for heat

Jen, I definitely had that happen. She came into heat every 6 months since she was approx 11 months old. At 3 1/2 years of age she decided to come into heat 3 1/2 months AFTER she was due!!! I was given some great advice by my mentor who said stop worrying about heats because the more I worry, the more they will never do as I hope. Took that advice and I dont think about it now. Oh, and yes she had a very nice litter of 8 pups.

Good Luck!!

Its frustrating Jen I know.

Have one that has never been on a 6 month cycle and expecting a heat now but see no signs.

Another came in at 11 months first time and then 5 months later.

Another that is closer to every 7 months.

30 years ago most of our bitches cycled every 6 months.

Hoping your girl comes in soon for you.

Well I waited almost 2 mos. a good 1/3/4 mos .Since her first little she has weird cycles, While she is in.? yep more coupons good to....mmmmmm

We're waiting here too Jen, for our first litter as well!

She's not officially due for another two weeks, but I can feel myself being anxious every morning as I use that white tissue, I am kinda hoping she is a bit late, to avoid Christmas Shipments, and like I said in the 'other thread' increase the opportunity for Leap Day puppies! ;)

Don't worry Jen, it'll happen. I have a girl who cycled every 7 months for her first 3 heats, almost to the exact day. When we wanted to breed her first litter, she was about 6 weeks late. I think they know and just like to mess with us.

Good to know it's common. Just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong that I didn't anticipate. Grace likes to do everything on her own schedule anyway so it just figures. Last times she came in right before we moved out of state, right before a vacation and then right before I planned all her clearances and was trying to get a breeding in then...which didn't happen.

Jen-

Book a trip for next weekend! She'll come in for sure!

Good luck in the waiting game.

Ron

I asked almost the exact question about 6 months ago as my bitch was overdue... she came in finally and her pups are 4 months old now! Just look at the calendar for holidays or planned trips, and that is when you can figure she will come in... not only did I have a holiday weekend to contend with, my repro vet was on vacation! I think I went grey overnight!

She'll come in... good luck with her!!

Hi!

Yup, I have a friend in another breed that is waiting for her bitch to go in. She has another bitch that she spayed and of course the two always went into heat together. She was expecting her to go into heat in Sept. and nothing yet.
Of course, she wanted to breed her for the first time and now she's waiting.

Donna