Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crate or doggie seat belt?

What are your thoughts on the best way to transport a lab? I 've got a growing puppy and we take lots of 20 minute drives to the parks, etc. What's best, easiest, safest way to travel in my SUV, a soft crate or a dog seatbelt/harness?

thanks!

Re: Crate or doggie seat belt?

Safest way possible would probably be in a Vari-Kennel type crate...there is a reason they're approved for airline travel.

I think an aircraft plastic crate or a wire crate is the safest. I have a plastic airplane proof crate in the back of my SUV. I had a soft crate in my old sedan and tried a seatbelt harness, but neither gave me the sense of safety that I have with my plastic crate.

Re: Re: Crate or doggie seat belt?

Definitely a wire or vari kennel!!

Jen

crate hands down.

I tried a dog seat belt with a Lab. In the space of a 30 minute drive he had developed several friction sores from the belts. Crates are the best.

My boy at 8 months chewed the seat belt connected to his harness in about 12 minutes. I think they are only good for adult dogs who have got over the chewing thing.
Hard to drive too when you are reaching back and yelling "stop it"

JMO A VariKennel or a very sturdy wire crate. I have a dear friend who has Vizslas and was in an accident 3 yrs ago. The fact that each dog was in the old sturdy Kennelaire crate saved her guys from being thrown and crushed..

Crate.

I wouldn't vote for a soft crate or seat belt. I think the safest thing would be an airline crate. Years ago, there was a United plane crash in TX. One of the few survivors was an 8 week old Lab puppy in an airline crate. Do you think they make them in people size? :)

Seriously, I was in a bad car accident some years ago and the force of the crash had my heavy duty General Cage crates (what I use at shows/home) pushed through the roof of my van.

Best regards,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

i am a big fan of 2 things
crates
and really REALLY good seat belt systems such as the ruff rider, or the champion auto harness system

really good harnesses, where the dogs are strapped in , in a harness that counts on the nylon bands not just the buckles to secure the dog.

i have some dogs that ride in crates, and other royalty that ride up front in their ruff riders....

in any case the important part is a secure crate or a good harness so no pet becomes a projectile

barb

Re: Re: Crate or doggie seat belt?

I have 2 labradors and a 2 door vehicle (maybe Santa will bring me an SUV) so a crate is not an option for me. I use the seatbelt harnesses and my dogs are fine, but I started them as pups like that. I'd prefer a crate if I had the room. I think it's safer and easier.

Thank you all for your input and for influencing my decision! I bought a crate. So far so good. It takes up a lot of space, but I think it is the way to go.