Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding

My dog has not been bred in 9 months. Some one mentioned to me that I should "clean him out" before the bitch gets here. Does any one do this?

Re: Breeding

?

????????

What I am asking is if a dog hasn't been used in a while, does it effect the sperm quality? I am doing an AI and should I collect him a few days before the actual breeding?

Re: Re: Breeding

Yes. Most stud dog owners would do this. Not a dumb question.

Well, I searched around through the breeding articles I keep and also did a google to find the exact information I wanted to pass along. No luck! I have routinely collected males I managed who were not used often. This stimulates the production of new sperm cells in a normal, healthy male. HOWEVER, what I wanted to include was how long it takes for that new cell to mature and be ready for ejaculation. If you are planning a breeding soon (in the next week or so), I would not pre-collect the dog. Yes, there will be some old sperm in the semen, but there will also be plenty of good ones. Since it takes (off the top of my head's poor memory) about 60 days for new sperm cells to mature, you don't want to deplete the current supply needlessly.

If two breedings are planned, I would do the first one a bit early and the second on the prime day. This is for two reasons. First, most of the old sperm cells will be in the first collection, so they will be out of the way for the "prime" collection. Second - and a very important factor for ME - you will be more likely to get a good gender mix in the pups. Breeding at just the "right" time assures that the faster swimming male sperm are the first to arrive and many litters will be mostly male. By doing a breeding a few days earlier, the male sperm in the first collection will mostly be dead and the slower female sperm will be in position to fertilize the ova when the time is right. Adding a fresh batch at that time willl assure that plenty of males get to the party as well

Does this include homo sapiens as well? If it does should I tell my wife?

If we hadn't used our male in 6 months, then we collect him before service. I was never told that the sperm supply would take 60 days to mature again. What about the boys who are used all of the time? We just collected a younger boy and plan to freeze some about about 3 weeks from now.

As I said, the 60 days is from my warped, old memory... it might be very wrong. That is the information I was trying to find online and could not. I had an article years ago on male reproduction that covered the topic, but can't locate it.If someone out there has more accurate information , please post it.

On dogs used regularly, it is recommended they not be collected more often than every other day with a bit longer break at times to let the production catch up. Collecting a dog every day will deplete the sperm supply and result in reduced fertility (sperm per ejaculate). Dogs store a LOT of sperm, so usually have plenty to use while maturing the new cells.

I used to collect the studs I managed about every 6 months if they were not being used regularly. That stimulated spermatogenesis so there would be new sperm generated occasionally.

I have been raised on a farm ALL MY LIFE and I have never heard of all this junk that goes on here. I can see farmer Johnson "collecting" his bull before the cow comes...really people you make this stuff difficult.

It's an old wives tale about the cleaning out, just let the dog be.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Breeding

For what it's worth, I collected a 5 year old male that had NEVER been used for breeding and we wanted to see if he was fertile because someone was interested in him. His sperm was jumping off the slide. I liked himm so well, I bred him to one of my girls, before he left for Italy and had 8 pups.

Don't males "release" ummmmmmmm, well.......yah know
sperm on their own?

my boys hump each other and on occasion even have an outside tie while just playing?? Are we over sexed here or what?

Yes a stud dog should be cleaned out if not bred for 9 months, excellent question far from silly.

It is my understanding it takes a full 24 hr for the male to rejuevinate and produce live viable sperm This is the reason when doing natural we skip a day inbetween to insure plenty of sperm count and viable.

Very good question. And yes, I think if they are not used often I have been told it is a good idea to collect. For his own health reason if nothing else. Not all males, just ones who have been active, live with girls coming in and out of heat. And that have not been used in months. Makes alot of sense to me.
Does not take 24 hours to build back up either.
Maureen once said this was not turn but Hutch in one of his seminars said you could use a dog every day for a week and he would be fine. After that give him a break to recoup. Let see how long it take her.

Are we over sexed here or what?

Do you really want us to answer this? LOL

My liitle 5 month old male just did this to his half sister. He was out and had an outside tie before I could flinch. Luckily it was on the pergo and not the carpet.

Silly, silly ex-farmer

Well, you haven't lived on a modern farm recently. Farmer Jones (or the consortium that hires him) likely doesn't even breed his bull naturally in the first place. If it is an outstanding bull, he is collected and frozen - and you can bet the people doing that want the best collection possible. If a bull is NOT outstanding, who would want to use him anyway when you can purchase frozen semen from top producers for $50 or less!

My cattle friends tell me (I have never owned a cow) that even the large operations with "herd" bulls use frozen on their top cows and leave the mediocre stock to their own bulls. Those are collected at least once a year and checked for semen analysis, infections, etc. Owning a stud of any sort in today's age of technology is just not the same as when you likely grew up on the family farm - nor should it be for those who follow good husbandry practices.

I went to a seminar with our repro vet in our area and she definitely recommends that old sperm be "cleaned" out if a male hasn't been used in months to allow for fresher sperm. What does it hurt? And we use our boys often so we know it won't hurt. If you're worried, do it maybe 4 days or so in advance. I know I would if it were me.

I didn't understand any part of that last paragraph except my name - sort of like a dog hears

I did find one of the references I was looking for - here is an excerpt:
It takes a long time, about two months, for a newly born germ cell to mature into a fully equipped sperm cell, at which time it is shed into the duct, ready to be cast out into the world. It's slow, but remember...there are hundreds of meters of this stuff constantly trickling out new sperm, and it adds up.

Once sperm complete their development and are cast off into the duct, they next migrate to the epididymis. The epididymis is another tightly coiled duct, about 6 meters worth packed into a 4cm long rope, that clings to the posterior edge of the testis. It is a sperm storage organ, and the place where the sperm acquire motility and have various other essential molecular functions finally activated.

The next step for sperm is the ductus deferens, or vas deferens, a long tube that extends from the back end of the testis, up into the body, in front of and over the pubic bone, around the urinary bladder, and finally to a region called the ampulla, were it merges with the seminal vesicle before entering the prostate gland. This roundabout route is a relic of it's embryonic development, when the testicle migrated from its internal position to its final place in the scrotum. The vas deferens also stores sperm, for up to several months, and the seminal vesicle and prostate are responsible for adding seminal fluid to the concentrated sperm stored in the duct.
So, a male stores a bajillion mature sperm and releases them a batch at a time in an ejaculation. Two references I read (neither of them Dr. Hutch) said that daily collection does deplete the mature sperm after about 4-5 days so that an individual collection may not have the target number (100 million)of forwardly motile, mature sperm to achieve a litter. The recommendation was for every other day or every third day to leave some of those bajillion in the tank while the new ones are maturing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Breeding

After reading many of these posts it has become
apparent that people own male dogs but they
are ill equipped with the knowledge necessary to
manage a stud dog :O( and even far more frightening
is that they are responding to this post with incorrect information.

It take 54 days for sperm to become mature. But millions of sperm are being produced every day. Your boy has not been used in a while so yes, it is definately a good idea to collect him in advance
and have an experienced vet look at his sperm to determine quality, viability and motility. It is not fair to the bitch owner, who is paying good money, to ship sperm that would have no chance in getting her
girl pregnant. Four or five days before he is used would be fine for this collection and if for some reason there is s problem with his sperm this is hopefully enough time for the bitch owner to go to another stud. If you boy has not been over used and you must collect twice in one day, wait about 4 hours before getting the second collection. It should be fine.

Now I ask if anyone else feels they MUST respond to this question PLEASE make sure your answer in accurate. This is an important question that every stud and bitch owner should be aware of

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breeding

Thanks for the information, good advice. I knew it was around 60 days for sperm cells to mature, but couldn't find the article I had saved on it. I missed somewhere in the posts that the semen was going to be SHIPPED, which really has a bit different preparation practice than a live breeding. I agree with everything you posted. If it were a natural breeding on a proven dog, I might forego the prelim collection - but it is always a good practice to KNOW the dog is fertile at the time of breeding!

Re: Silly, silly ex-farmer

Your best post ever!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Well, you haven't lived on a modern farm recently. Farmer Jones (or the consortium that hires him) likely doesn't even breed his bull naturally in the first place. If it is an outstanding bull, he is collected and frozen - and you can bet the people doing that want the best collection possible. If a bull is NOT outstanding, who would want to use him anyway when you can purchase frozen semen from top producers for $50 or less!

My cattle friends tell me (I have never owned a cow) that even the large operations with "herd" bulls use frozen on their top cows and leave the mediocre stock to their own bulls. Those are collected at least once a year and checked for semen analysis, infections, etc. Owning a stud of any sort in today's age of technology is just not the same as when you likely grew up on the family farm - nor should it be for those who follow good husbandry practices.

It is an AI and I have had a sperm anaysis which was excellent. No shipping.

Then the dog HAS been collected recently (for the semen analysis)? No worries, mate! There are ALWAYS stored sperm in a normal collection- some are just stored longer than others