Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
inheritance of TVD

In Europe most breeders don't know what tvd is, and even vets seems to be unaware of the problem.
I want to have my dogs screened with the color doppler and so I found what is supposed to be THE cardiologist of the country. When talking about the inheritance of TVD in Labs or Goldens she tells me the last studies show it is recessive. This is in contradiction with everything I heard and read about. I thought it was dominant with incomplete penetration. Does anyone know the SURE answer to this one, I'm confused.
Is it dominant, recessive or is the transmission mode not surely determined yet.
Thanks

Re: inheritance of TVD

The cardiologist I spoke with said that any parent or sibling of a tvd dog should never be bred.

This would be a great opportunity for a club to schedule a conference on TVD featuring either Meg Sleeper or Mark Oyama from Penn. I haven't seen or heard that either of them have been speakers at a conference. They are two of the foremost vterinary cardiologists in the country, and know TVD, and it would be a tremendous help to breeders.

Re: Re: inheritance of TVD

Please, please, please do not approach this like we did PRA years ago. Mode of inheritance is not yet known, but dominant incomplete penetrance is suspected. The easiest way to irradicate a disease in livestock is to simply "not breed siblings or parents of affected animals" but that's not a practical approach.

The key is to know what is in your pedigrees and breed accordingly. Just because a sibling or offspring has a disease, it does not mean that all related dogs are also affected.

I would highly recommend that your cardiologist speak to some of the cardiologists here in the US who have seen a lot of Labrador hearts. There is a normal accepted amount of valve regurgitation but some cardiologists are known to "over read" this as TVD.

Meg Sleeper is the cardiologist on the latest project, but she is working with a geneticist for the laboratory side of the project. It is likely that the geneticist, Dr. Petra Werner, is the one to speak to.

This would be perfect for speakers at a conference at the Potomac?? Who do we ask?

Re: Re: inheritance of TVD

Try this:

The University of Pennsylvania -Veterinary Hospital
Section of Cardiology
3900 Delancey Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6010
Fax (215) 573-6232
Phone (215) 898-3331

Ask to have either Meg Sleeper or Mark Oyama as speakers, if possible.

I can ask my son whom to contact there as well. He is a veterinary cardiologist and studied under Oyama at Univ of IL.

I would think you'd have to have them give you their speakers' fee and run it by one of the clubs.

There is a LOT of interest in TVD by breeders, and I'm sure attendance would not be a problem.

Re: Re: Re: inheritance of TVD

Yes, in fact that might be the reason I need to make the long trip this year!

Does anyone have an idea of the percentage of TVD affected Labs? When I read your remarks and I thank you for answering me, inheritance of tvd has not been defined yet! So either both or just one of the parents could be the carrier!

Re: Re: Re: inheritance of TVD

Mark Oyama spoke at the VHUP/AKC Canine Health Foundation Seminar early this year, but did not mention TVD. He was very good though.
[:)

Meg came and spoke at a MJLRC meeting last year, and actually I think a colleague of hers is coming to speak at our club early in 2008. I can ask Micki to find out exactly when and who it is.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Try this:

The University of Pennsylvania -Veterinary Hospital
Section of Cardiology
3900 Delancey Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6010
Fax (215) 573-6232
Phone (215) 898-3331

Ask to have either Meg Sleeper or Mark Oyama as speakers, if possible.

I can ask my son whom to contact there as well. He is a veterinary cardiologist and studied under Oyama at Univ of IL.

I would think you'd have to have them give you their speakers' fee and run it by one of the clubs.

There is a LOT of interest in TVD by breeders, and I'm sure attendance would not be a problem.