Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Woody's Pet Bedding

Quick question. I decided to try Woody's Pet Bedding on a litter that are 8 1/2 weeks old. I noticed that the pups have red runny eyes like they are on cedar. I think its the pet bedding. My vet's wife was over yesterday to help me take pictures and she agrees. Has anyone else had eye problems using Woody's? I am switching to pine shavings, I have never had problems with that and eyes. TIA!

Re: Woody's Pet Bedding

We used Woody Pet in our barn and had horrible luck with it. It gave the horses runny eyes and the babies coughed. It made my eyes red and itchy too. I like Aspen shavings the best.

Litter Bedding, Chips etc?

I am almost ready to wean my girl's first litter.
Could you please tell me what kind of chips etc you use in the weaning area?
I have nice fleece where they sleep but want to make an area that they will learn to go to to potty.
Pine, cedar, aspen have been mentioned. Which do most of you like and why?
Any other choices?
Where do you buy it so you know you are getting good quality? Have heard of some that is very dusty and not good for the little guys.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Litter Bedding, Chips etc?

I am pulling my 8 week old pups off the Woodys (red, watery eyes) and going back to pine shavings. Cedar tends to give pups watery, red eyes and it breaks me out too. I have had very good luck with pine shavings. I get it from Feldmans which is a farm store. It does get messy though!! By the way, I found a bottom to a rabbit cage...that is what I am using for a litter box. I wish it were a bit taller though.

Our feed store has Aspen shavings. People usually buy them for rabbits and pocket pets.

From the time my puppies are old enough toddle out of their sleeping area to potty I put a litter box filled with "Devils' Tower" pine shavings in their x-pen. My puppies were pretty much potty trained when they went home at 8 weeks old. The girl I kept has never had a poo accident in the house and only about 3 piddle accidents since she was 9 weeks old. I suggest to get a litter box available as soon as mama stops cleaning up after them, whether they are weaned or not...my girl nursed her litter until they were 6 weeks old.