Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poterior Pole Lens Opacity?????? CERF

This is what was written on a CERF for my dog.
Does anyone have any info about this and it's significance?

Is this a "don't breed it" type of cataract or a breeders option or could it be one of those specks that some ACVO's freak out about and others pass because they say it's nothing?????

Really hoping for answers here - never heard of this one and the info I get will have an impact on the future of our breeding program and where we thought we were going.........

Thanks in advance

Re: Poterior Pole Lens Opacity?????? CERF

Lens Opacity is a cataract.
How old is your dog?

Did the vet choose "significance unknown"? If so, it will be a category E, Breeder's Option. usually these are reserved for the punctate cataracts only. The other two options are incipient and diffuse (If I recall correctly).

Is it in one eye or both?

heriditary cataracts in labradors are typically bilateral and in the posterior cortex. Optigen is accepting blood from dogs who have such CERF exams for research. Not sure if they take other types or not.

CERF will not pass any cataracts unless that little "significance unknown" circle was filled in in the middle column.

A second opinion may be worthwhile.

Re: Re: Poterior Pole Lens Opacity?????? CERF

He is 2 years old. I understand that it is a cataract but also know that some are not thought of as hereditary and some are.
Also that some are not there, then they show up, and next year gone again...

Significance unkknown is NOT checked off

He marked "other unlisted conditions"

You should always discuss with the vet anything that comes up during a CERF. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about in terms of vision or breeding!

Thanks Nancy,
See thats the thing, this vet said he should never be bred. But I realize that's only one vet's opinion.
I'm terribly upset right now about this.
Not sure what to do.

AKA:

posterior polar cataract

I would certainly get a second eye examination because Posterior Pole Lens Opacity or a posterior polar cataract is not good.
Your vet is correct that your dog should not be bred if that is what it is. Not only that but your dogs dam and sire should not be bred again and should be checked also.
Get another opinion and make sure the diagnosis is correct. This kind of cataract is serious and will impair vision, but can often be corrected with surgery.

Good Luck!
Good luck.

You SHOULD get a second opinion, but go to a very seasoned AVCO. They've seen everything and can tell you when to worry and when not to. Those who have had many years of seeing eyes can usually give you a truer reading on what's really there. This isn't saying that everything will be ok for your dog, but it pays to go to someone who's seen it all, and many times around.

Re: Re: Re: Poterior Pole Lens Opacity?????? CERF

I agree on the been there, done that vet, which ours is. This was not diagnosed at a clinic, this was an hour long office visit

I have a girl who was diagnosed with "punctate opacities of both posterior lens poles." the ACVO vet went on to say "vision excellent. The lesion is little more than an academic curiosity".

However, this is not CERFable.

I was told by another ACVO vet that they would not progress and would not affect her vision, but that if I doubled up on it, I could get more serious cataracts, but I do not know if this is true.

I think that we have to remember that CERF's is interested in eliminating all eye diseases. Since we have more serious diseases in our breed than "punctate opacities" then even if this is not CERFable, personal judgement is needed in deciding to breed. If I had a boy with this, it would be more of an issue, as in most cases, others may not use him, but with this particular bitch, she was bred as she had excellent hip and elbow clearances and other good qualities, and she was bred.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would certainly get a second eye examination because Posterior Pole Lens Opacity or a posterior polar cataract is not good.
Your vet is correct that your dog should not be bred if that is what it is. Not only that but your dogs dam and sire should not be bred again and should be checked also.
Get another opinion and make sure the diagnosis is correct. This kind of cataract is serious and will impair vision, but can often be corrected with surgery.

Good Luck!
Good luck.

But is punctate opacity the same as a posterior polar lens opacity?

Yes but punctate means it is just a small spot or a lesion. It is not the same.

HOW BIG IS THE CATARACT? IS IT TRIANGULATED? DID THE VET DRAW A DIAGRAM/PICTURE? TRIANGULATED CATARACTS WILL NEVER PROGRESS NOR AFFECT VISION, BUT ARE CONSIDERED UNCERFABLE.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

This is what was written on a CERF for my dog.
Does anyone have any info about this and it's significance?

Is this a "don't breed it" type of cataract or a breeders option or could it be one of those specks that some ACVO's freak out about and others pass because they say it's nothing?????

Really hoping for answers here - never heard of this one and the info I get will have an impact on the future of our breeding program and where we thought we were going.........

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is a triangle

I still think you cannot breed that but for sure get a second opinion.
Good Luck