Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
false pregnancy and OFA ok???

I have a one year old bitch that I think may possibly be having a false pregnancy. Shad her first heat September 5th, and now over the past three or four weeks she seems to be getting flabby in the gut (but she doesn't look fat at all). I have other females and they never got flabby like this post heat. Its almost like the few weeks before whelp of a pregnant bitch her mammary glands begin to develop more. Plus I had a male visit her about two weeks ago and he acted like she was in season, and someone mentioned that males do that when females have a false pregnancy. I know for a fact she is not for real pregnant

Anyway, my point of writing is that I wanted to have this girl prelim'ed for hips and elbows ASAP, but I wasn't sure if I should wait. Will a false pregnancy effect the results? I know you preferably shouldn't OFA a pregnant or post whelp bitch.

Thanks for any advice you may have

Re: false pregnancy and OFA ok???

I smell a TROLL

ummm no. Why in gods earth would you think this was a troll. I have a bitch, 1 yo, might be having a false pregnancy and I just wanted some input if its safe to prelim NOW or wait a month.

Ya know, everyone needs to start somewhere, you can be breeding 2 years or 20 years and you can ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING. There is no harm asking questions, especially a legit one such as this. But it seems that anymore if its not a "congrats" to someone in the cool clique or a question that pertains to your breeding program then it must be a troll. What-ever.

For those that may have advice, this is a serious question

What's the rush in doing the prelims? Just wait.

Re: Re: false pregnancy and OFA ok???

Exactly what I was thinking - is there some reason you have doubts about her passing?

I'm sorry new-b you are right...I jumped to conclusions...Again very sorry

Wait a month or two.
To be safe and certain.
Good Luck

no, nothings wrong (I HOPE)... I have just had a bad run of labby luck and I thought well maybe I should prelim sooner then later. The longer you have a pup, the harder it is to place 'em when they cant be used in your program Maybe 2008 will be my year, I will wait till then

Re: Re: false pregnancy and OFA ok???

Actually that is a good question as you don't know if a false pregnancy will effect her pelvic muscles/ligaments in such a way that would effect her OFA rating. I would ask a repro vet if the hormones for a false pregnancy could possibly do this. But my guess is yes as I have heard that you should wait to do OFA if your girl is in season as the hormonal changes to ligaments can have an impact on the rating(this was per Dr. Keller)

I'd suggest waiting another 5-6 wks, please do let us know how it turns out?

Sure will do Thanks guys! See I am not a tricky troll

of smell was way off. Why are a couple of people accusing all posters of being trolls. Gee whiz.