Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about article regarding microchips

Came accross this site: http://www.news-medical.net/?id=29675 linked on another site. I never heard of any problems with chips before, just wondering if anyone has any experience or maybe heard anything to either prove or disprove this theory. Not trolling, just wondering. I, personaly, have never had a problem with a microchip, nor have I directly heard of anyone alse who has either. Thoughts???

Update

Also just found this article online: http://www.lakeconroevet.com/index.php?view=pageView&docid=100049659

I guess it's probably nothing to worry about. The benefits of having a pet returned if lost or stolen seem to out weigh any possible health risk as there is not enough eveidence or research at this time to prove the theaory. That said, I'm still wondering if anyone here has experience with any health issues directly resulting from a chip.

Re: Update

I have heard of several that had done young puppys who could not find the chip later. Moved somewhere. Vets could not find. That needle is so big I wait for a few months. 7 week old pups seem so small for that. Wonder how often we go back and check if they can be found ?

Re: Re: Update

I have my own reader and check regularly, even on my adult dogs I can still find the chips.

The old chips (10 years ago) were prone to migrate and could be found all over the place. The newer chips have a barb on the end of the chip that causes some scar tissue to form and anchor the chip in place.

MK

Re: Question about article regarding microchips

I had a recent inquiry about a puppy, but they did NOT want the animal microchipped. Seems that their previous dog died of cancer at 6 years old "caused" by a microchip...at least that's what their vet told them.

Re: Re: Question about article regarding microchips

Well, if they don't want a microchip, I would have to do an ear tattoo...for my protection as well as theirs. Without any permanent ID they or someone else could present the dog as mine, or claim that the dog were dysplastic, etc.--and without DNA testing, there woudl be no way to confirm or deny.

MK