Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach

Has anyone fed this food to a bitch carrying a litter? Any good experiences, bad experiences? thx

Re: ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach

I fed it during Candy's pregnancy and really liked the results. I did it for a different taste for her and to see what it would do for her coat. My gosh she had beautiful coat! I did switch 3 weeks prior to the litter to puppy food though.

Feed it to my girl this summer ... started her on it about 6 months before. She whelped August 1. 7 healthy puppies. They are all good weight and thrived right from the start. It was her first litter. No issues whelping. In fact it was the quickest whelping I had ever done.

Re: Re: ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach

"Feed it to my girl this summer ... started her on it about 6 months before. She whelped August 1.7 healthy puppies."

Guess I am not awake yet...I read that as 1.7 puppies and thought to myself what????
:)
Cant speak for the in whelp part as my bunch have been on it only the last 6 months, but I am very happy with how they are doing...ear, skin, coat...great:)
Good Luck,
Annie

Yes, I have fed it (SS&S) to a pregnant & lactating bitch, last year.
However, please do note that Purina will tell you that this formula is not "officially" recommended for this use. It is not rated for "all life stages", at least not yet as far as I know.
I did supplement my pregnant/lactationg bitch's feed with a bit of sunflower oil (for omega 6) along with the usual cooked eggs/cottage cheese and weaned the litter onto Pro Plan Puppy Chicken & Rice formula. All went well and the litter went onto Adult Chicken & Rice later with no issues.
Because SS&S is a salmon protein formula (salmon is 1st ingredient), you do get lovely coats.
If you have any further questions, email me privately

I also have a litter on the ground right now and Mom was fed SS&S from the get go up until two weeks before whelping, when I started to mix half and half, the Puppy Chicken formula as well. Babies weaned onto Puppy Chicken formula and are healthy and in good weight, and Mom's coat is very healthy and shiny, with miminal hair loss.

I have fed this to my pregnant and lactating bitches and have no problems. Litters were normal sized, uniform in size. Moms produced plenty of milk for the babies.

Of course during the last week or so, I always supplement my girls with cottage cheese for a little extra natural calcium, just helps them to want to eat a little more when they are starting to get closer to delivery.

Dianne

I haven't yet had the opportunity to feed this to a pregnant girl, but did want to add that it seems to be highly palatable to finicky eaters. I have that one-in-a-million Labrador who isn't in love with her food, but this, she eats happily, and her coat looks good, too.

Guess I should add, I went through extensive discussions with the company last year before feeding it to my pregnant/lactating bitch. As I said, it is not rated by Purina - not tested or recommended - for pregnancy. So be aware of that risk, however small.
I did supplement with safflower oil (a source of Omega 6) as well as cooked eggs (another source of O-6), and the usual cottage cheese & yogourt.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Yes, I have fed it (SS&S) to a pregnant & lactating bitch, last year.
However, please do note that Purina will tell you that this formula is not "officially" recommended for this use. It is not rated for "all life stages", at least not yet as far as I know.
I did supplement my pregnant/lactationg bitch's feed with a bit of sunflower oil (for omega 6) along with the usual cooked eggs/cottage cheese and weaned the litter onto Pro Plan Puppy Chicken & Rice formula. All went well and the litter went onto Adult Chicken & Rice later with no issues.
Because SS&S is a salmon protein formula (salmon is 1st ingredient), you do get lovely coats.
If you have any further questions, email me privately