Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Double Standard Revisited

Once again you all have reset the the standard of "LONG TIME BREEDERS", it is ok to breed LABRADOODLES if you are a "LONG TIME BREEDER", NEWBIES DON'T THINK YOU CAN IT IS NOT PERMITTED! You will be ostracized from the labrador community!

So I am guessing all you "LONG TIME BREEDERS" could breed silvers, charcoals, whatever you want. Newbies you can only breed and own Labradors pre-approved by the all the Labrador experts.

JMHO

Re: Double Standard Revisited

Not true. There is only one "Labrador" and most older experienced breeders realize the true "value" of this remarkable breed and we would never ever consider a cross breed. The "one bad apple" approach fits here.

Re: Re: Double Standard Revisited

Why is the breeding of (fill in the blank) labradoodle, mini lab, silver, etc, so irritaging to ANYONE, let alone long time breeders.

Who cares? I saw the thread below and did not even open a link. If you want to breed mini-red-comfort-labs with silver paws. GO FOR IT.

I wonder how long ago , LONG TIME BREEDERS gave people the same kind of grief for breeding (heaven forbid) CHOCOLATES.

I suggest , keep your nose in your own business. The same can be said for showing a dog with ED. WHY EVEN ASK? Leads me to believe it was a thread created to start something.

Oh please. Why start debate AGAIN on this tired old boring subject.

Fool!

If someone was breeding mongrels in Sweden, they would be banned from the Kennel Club.
Pia

Re: Re: Re: Double Standard Revisited

Here here Pia, couldn't agree with you more.

In Canada they are banned for breeding labradoodles. It has happened. Doesn't seem to bother the breeders in question because they make good $$$

From my perspective, it's irritating for several reasons.

First, reputable breeders are not supposedly in the hobby to create mongrels; they're supposedly in the hobby to create the very best examples of their chosen breed they possibly can.

Second, people who breed mongrels deliberately are not typically people who have the best interest of the dogs at heart, but are breeding to market forces.

Third, most people who breed mongrels of the 'doodle, 'poo, 'gle etc. variety, are breeding individuals who probably ought not be bred, and who have not had whichever health clearances are necessary of the breeds.

Liz

'If someone was breeding mongrels in Sweden, they would be banned from the Kennel Club.'

They should be and it's time the LRC and regional LRCs did the same here. But it takes some backbone. It's particularly harmful when household name Breeders publicly promote what the parent & regional clubs are trying to stop through education. They add legitimacy to the practice. Just look at the spirited defenses mounted on the other thread. There were more than a few lips kissing big breeder rings. I don't think that would have happened had they been talking about Backyard Barbara.

We live in a sue happy society. I can't see any kennel club banning someone here for breeding doodles due to the lawsuit the banned person would bring against a club.

While I certainly don't agree with breeding doodles, its not against the law and I'm sure that would be the basis of any law suits.

Laura's right -the whole American "Freedom Thing" kind of gets in the way.
In Europe with MANY breeds they have a breed warden from the dog clubs that approves whether a dog can even be bred or not. Some of you probably wouldn't even be allowed to breed at all.

Double Standard Revisited

Dog clubs dedicated to pure bred dogs can exclude people who breed mongrels. AKC does that in a way by not accepting these 'breeds'. I don't agree lawsuits would follow, but if they did the club would likely prevail.

and put you in charge?

I did not know the Swedish Kennel Club was a fascist organization. In fact even during WWII, they did not support the fascists.

Remember - it was not that long ago - our beloved breed was nothing but mongrels as you call it.

GET OVER THIS ALREADY

OMG, How could you call the Swedish Kennel club Fascist when all they are trying to doing is maintain the integrity of the pedigree dog. I say bloody good on them and maybe if a few more Kennel clubs grew some balls instead of being concerned about their pay cheque we wouldn't be having this debate now. I know at last our Kennel club has listened to the Labrador breeders RE: Silver Labardors, and as for a registered breeder breeding Labradoodles well if it isn't for money what else would it be for, I bet they are not given away. I don't know if you are in the USA or not, but to call another KC Fascist is just appalling

This topic is about moral and ethics..
The Kennel Club of Sweden (and I would guess every KC)
promote breeding of pure bred dogs.
And what about all the years breeders before us have spent to establish the labrador. Is that of no worth at all...
What do you think a Gwen Broadley or a Bridget Docking would say if they know how this breed was missused.
Have they all worked for nothing...
Pia

I totally agree with Laura Reich. No ethical breeder would infect our wonderful breed by cross breeding any other breed. This is not a "oldtimer" "newcomer" issue. This is "ethical" breeder doings, and none of us, who really care for and appreciate our breed which has evolved from very caring and dedicated people many years ago and who have been improved upon by us, would ever introduce foreign genes just for the sake of money. Some of those on here who need to retaliate need to ask themselves if they are in the breed to better it or to throw stones. We all know who the traiters are to the breed so just figure out what or who you really are. Ellie

And just to add to that, the only ones that I know who are breeding Labradoodles and selling them are the puppy mills in Pennsylvania and we have become the number one puppy mill state so we do get to see them in and around. Ellie