Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Green discharge , no contractions

I have a call into the vet and am waiting reply.
No pups yet, But have a green disharge with no major contrations. Minor tightening but no major.
Temp dropped yesterday AM
Thoughts please
BB

Re: Green discharge , no contractions

Keep calling the vet until they reply! Don't give up.
Good luck and I hope it is nothing serious.

Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions

Any discharge with color before the first pup arrives, get to the vet right away. Do not wait for him to call YOU!

You need to get to your vet NOW.

I hope evevrything turns out ok. I have had this happen and luckily I got her to the vet in time.

In my experience a green discharge before the appearance of the first puppy usually indicates placental separation. Unfortunately without a quick delivery afterwards, the puppy does not normally survive. The discharge will often then turn black as the placenta further degrades. Veterinary intervention is imperative. Will be thinking of you and praying for your dam and litter - please keep us posted. Good luck!

IF your regular vet is so insensitive to your needs, it's time to jump in the van and get to the ER vet !!!
Your job next week is to find a new regular vet.

Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions, HAD A PUP!!!

Thanks all
Just had a screamming 20 oz blk female. I was worried because she discharged green 3.5 hrs ago!
Everytime I go through a whelping I still get worried!!!!
Thanks again
Bridget

Re: Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions, HAD A PUP!!!

Good News Bridget!

I think we all have "been there...done that" at one point or another! Congrats on the new pup (she's a big girl!). Hope the rest don't keep you waiting too long!

Yes, please go to the vet. When this was the same scenario happening to my bitch, ultrasound revealed the pups were in distress. A c-section gave me 7 healthy babies and mom.

Isn't the green discharge from meconium (first puppy poop)? Was the first pup in her sac? Just curious.

Once there is color like that and the temp dropped quite some time before, if there is no puppy - then the vet wants to see us right away. We had one like that last year. Mild contractions all day. Got green at about 6PM. Off to the vets - got there at about 7:15 and c-section very quickly.
There was a big shouldered boy holding up the works and they revived him. Good Luck.

Re: Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions, HAD A PUP!!!

I think that no matter how long you've been breeding these dogs you always worry about something going wrong and all rationale thoughts go out the window lol.... Glad to hear your girl finally got that pup out and that it was fine... the only times i've had green dishcharge it's been trouble and we ended up witih a c section but hearing how others have had this and had the pups it makes me wonder if we don't jump the gun too soon about having those c sections!
Aloha,
Jackie

I don't think the green is meconium, I believe it is the placenta beginning to degrade. Perhaps blood? Not too sure but I know that it is a sign that a puppy better come soon because the blood supply is compromised.

Now that things seem to be moving, I'm kicked back waiting for the full litter report!

Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions 4 pups So Far

Thanks all for replying, She started at 9:30 and it is now 3:50 and I have 4 strapping pups so far. 18-24 OZ. 2BF,1YF,1BM.
I am guessing 3-4 more, I wish she would get on with it ! She is a bit of a lazy whelper, She does not have full body contractions and just kind of slips them out.
I will give a full report when we're done
Bridget

Re: Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions 4 pups So Far

Yayyy for you:)
Christmas miracles come in all sizes:)
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions 4 pups So Far

GET YOUR GIRL UP AND MAKE HER FOLLOW YOU AROUND THIS MOST OF THE TIMES HELPS MOVE THINGS AROUND FOR HER.HAVE YOU TRIED RUBBING HER TO HELP HER CONTRACTIONS START AGAIN.GOOD LUCK

I would suggest you get her outdoors and moving on leash. Gravity helps! Keep something with you to catch a pup such as a clean towel. If near or after dusk also a flash light to see her vulva clearly. Have you tried a ride in the car? Either could drastically speed things up. Goodluck.

Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions 7 PUPS

Had 7 pups ,11hrs , with no issues to speak of. 17-23 OZ 4BF, 1YF, 2BM .All alive and squirming, No dead pups, No meds , no Drs.
I DO think that sometimes we overthink and try to rush the process.I do not know if she had a partialy separated placenta, or what, but am really happy I did not have a c-section!
I work at a large English Setter kennel ,and the owner there laughs at me and the other girl when we get in a dither about whelping. " He says be patient and leave them alone,if there is no obvious distress" I am starting to believe him.......
Thanks again to all , Greg , I am happy that you were kicked back &relaxed while waiting,
Have a very Merry Christmas, and the BEST New Year yet....
Bridget
visit my online photo album Father is Chief and the Mom is a Zipper X Dreamer daughter
www.community.webshots.com/users/sighttosealabradors

Re: Re: Re: Green discharge , no contractions 7 PUPS Photo link

Sorry don't think above link works, this should

http://community.webshots.com/user/sighttosealabradors?vhost=community

Now 8 pups

As Soon as I finished the above post she had another, 4 1/2 hrs after the last one.....BMale
BE Patient :-))
BB

Awesome

The only time we had green discharge/spotting, it also lasted about three hours with no contractions and we ended up with 10 free-whelped, healthy pups. The first pup was propulsed out on her second contration, no pouch, no placenta. Ditto for the second... and then came the Green Giant, a hefty yellow with three placentas (he had obviously "inherited" the first two) who had a green tinge for two weeks.

Those pups, born some 15 years ago, never had a bad day and all lived long lives. Not sure exactly what the green spots mean but they obviously do no necessarily equate to imminent catastrophe, as some would imply.

Congrats on your newborn litter... enjoy!

The 24 hr whelp Now 9 PUPS !!!!

OMG Just had a really big pup (24 oz) 8.5 hrs after the last one.....Had to get him going (3 min?), but now he has some lungs!!!
I hope she is done....
Thank you God
BB

Re: The 24 hr whelp Now 9 PUPS !!!!

Oh my gosh Bridget! That is a BIG puppy! Your poor girl (& YOU!) must be wiped out. Hopefully that is the last pup and she can settle in with her babies and you can squeeze in a nap.

Congrats on the pups!

Re: The 24 hr whelp Now 9 PUPS !!!!

I bet you are dead tired, the mother is dead tired and all the pups just glad to be here. Let everyone rest today. That was a long time. Best of luck with the new little ones.

Kewl... what an experience this one was. This calls for a toast!

Speaking of a "Green Giant"... about 12 or so years ago we had a litter that was born on Christmas Eve. Once we knew that we had eight puppies on the ground, my wife started naming them after Santa's eight reindeer. About 3 hours after the last puppy was born, here came another - and of course that one was named Rudolph. End of story? Not - about 4 hours after that, here came the last one. He was a huge male, covered in that green stuff (which he bore a tint of for about 3 weeks). His name? "Olive", of course because he was about that color and it fit with "Olive the other reindeer"! Doesn't stop there - his new family named him Cash. We have been kicking ourselves for several years now for not jumping on the Olive thing, since someone later (much later) came out with a Christmas children's book, tape, etc. based on "Olive, the other reindeer". Had we known, we could have made a mint! (Get it? Mint?)

I know this post is very old but I need some advice. Dam had green discharge about 6:30 this morning and no contractions yet. It is 12:50 pm. She doesn't seem to be in any distress. Have tried calling several vets we know with very little info given to us. Please help!

I know that this thread has examples of green discharge and things worked out several hours later; but, green discharge means a placenta has detached. I would be on my way for a C-section. My concern would be that the first pup has things bottled up, although it's odd there are no contractions.

Mike

How did this go?

Mike