Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VA Legislation HELP NEEDED!!

I just got this and want to ask for everyones help! We are learning the hard way that HSUS targets the states one by one and right now VA is in their gun sights.
Please forward this to everyone you know. Thank you.

Date: January 25, 2008 3:37:08 PM EST
To: VFDCB-announce@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [VFDCB-Announce] Next Tuesday and Wednesday - forward to clubs!
Reply-To: VFDCB-Announce-owner@yahoogroups.com

PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL DOG CLUB MEMBERS!

We need emails and phone calls, folks, but mostly we need LOTS of people to show up next week. The committee chair asks who in the audience is in opposition to the bill and in support of the bill. Half the room stands up in support because the VVAW, Teresa Dockery and the humane societies, HSUS, and every animal rights wacko in the state are all there. When he asks for opposition, there are about six of us. That is not good.

We need you:
Tuesday, January 29, 2008, 7:30 a.m. 4th floor West and/or
Wednesday January 30, 8:30 a.m., House Room C
Either would be good, both would be great! Please, please notify your club members. My next post will be directions to the capital, parking suggestions, and general comments about the trip.

I know you are all busy with your dogs - I am too! I know it's inconvenient and kind of intimidating to come to Richmond. I haven't dealt with city parking and traffic in years and no one hates it more than I do. I am shy by nature and this does not come naturally to me. I live 2 1/2 hours away from Richmond. My husband is very busy and fairly grumpy right now and does not appreciate having to do all the dog work and moderate all our email lists while I'm gone. But it's very, very important that we not let the animal rightists take our hobby and our dogs away from us, and right now a "presence" in Richmond is extrmely important, so Walt is having to just get over himself and deal with it. His success with that varies hour to hour.

You won't have to speak and you won't even have to be there very long. If you can carpool, that's the way to go because parking can be a pain in the butt. There are a number of parking garages around but if you don't get there early, they may be full. Wear good clothes and look like a middle class VOTER. Church behavior, please.

Tuesday is the Ag subcommittee meeting. 7:30 a.m. 4th floor West
They will be talking about mandatory spay/neuter, requirements for providing water to animals (all that is left of HB 673), mandatory micochipping, and dealer permits. (Remember some counties consider us all dealers) Meeting will be over by nine.

Wednesday is the full committee. 8:30 a.m., House Room C
It's more formal and there is less discussion of the issues -- usually comments are not taken from the audience, but they are making an exception in the case of HB538 at least. HB 538 will be heard first thing Wednesday. The bills that are not killed or put off on Tuesday in the subcommittee will also be heard and voted on. You can slip out at any time you have to leave. The meeting will be over by about 10.

Please call around and gather some friends and come to at least one of these. It honestly is very interesting and your dogs NEED you to be there. Your friends do not have to be VFDCB club members to come!

And did I mention...PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL CLUB MEMBERS!

Sharyn
Legislative Liaison