Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clear by parentage-old post-OptiGen comments

Well, as it happens OptiGen has not been contacted by anyone inte the last couple of months who would fit the description that the anonymous post described in this forum on Feb 17. See my previous post "Clear by parentage-old post from Feb-what happened?" Thus, at this time OptiGen is unaware of any "mismatch" in Labrador prcd-PRA results.
Sue Pearce-Kelling at Optigen says:
"Without knowing who the dog in question is, OptiGen can not know if a mismatch truly exists. I would certainly encourage the owner of the dog with the unexpected Carrier test result to follow up on the finding. First they should ask for a copy of the OptiGen test reports for both parents and if they are both Normal then please encourage the owner and/or breeder of the dog to contact us. We are always very concerned that our tests are as accurate as humanly possible and we want to find the cause of any inexplicable result, such as this type of mismatch would be. A lack of contact up to this point causes me to suspect that the issue has been resolved. Perhaps both parents were not OptiGen tested as was first thought by the owner, or perhaps another sire was involved in the breeding. Maybe parentage testing is being/has been done to determine this".
Sue Pearce-Kelling also says that genetics is pretty unforgiving when it comes to this sort of thing and almost always OptiGen can trace the problem back to an "oops" somewhere - for example the parents weren't both OptiGen tested or the sire isn't quite who everyone thought he was, or multiple dogs were sampled at the same time and the tubes were mislabeled, etc. There is a very small chance that the result is "real", i.e. that two "Normal" parents could produce a Carrier offspring.
The chance of this happening is so rare that it's not typically discussed in genetic testing because the other sources of "error" are so much more common.
It is always safest to have a-n-y breeder tested.
OptiGen hopes to encourage this with their new Normal x Normal discount.
More info about this particular test can be found at the OptiGen website www.optigen.com