Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potential Buyer Warning

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a female police officer in Montgomery, AL. She was looking to buy a new drug dog. She prefers to own her dogs which she then leases to the city, so they can't be taken from her or reassigned. She wrote to me requesting an "older puppy or adult" and sounded like she would be a great home. I have a 6 month old pup with a wonderful work ethic and awesome nose. She was supposed to go as a private service dog prospect to a woman, but before it was time for her to go the woman had a massive seizure (inoperable brain tumor) and last I heard was still in the hospital and will probably never come out. Bella is too much pup to just lay quietly on a sofa, so I've held on to her looking for the right home. This cop sounded like just the ticket.

Prior to the cop visiting here, we discussed my contract, the pup's price, etc. She came out and was blown away by my pup, said she wanted her, and would come back the following week to pick her up. (She wanted to get her at the start of her day's off, and needed to get ready for her.) During the next week, she contacted me several times stating she was getting ready for her and that she would be there on the stated date after she got off shift and got some sleep. She also asked me to work with the pup on some specific things, which I did.

The day she was slated to come get her, she wrote that she had worked late and was exhausted, had to get some sleep, and would come the next day as she didn't think she could handle the drive that day. The next day I heard nothing from her. The following day I sent her a couple of emails, asking her what was going on. At that point she said she and her husband were "discussing" her getting the pup, that he had a problem with her spending that kind of money. I was rather surprised at that point, but did suggest to her that we might be able to work out payments if that would help. (I did that because I do think my pup would excel at this job.)

She played with me for 3 more days, then wrote and said he had agreed she could get the dog, but since Bella was an older pup she could only pay an amount that was $400 less than the pup's price.

This whole saga played out over about 3 weeks time. I was pretty upset as she asked for an older pup to begin with, and knew the price before she ever came here. After she said she would take the pup, I was contacted by a hunter who would have been a great home for Bella, but I referred him to another breeder because she was "sold."

I was so irritated with her wasting so much of my time that I notified the other members of the Greater Atlanta Labrador Retriever Club. Since I sent that email, I have heard back from two different members that she pulled the same thing with, at about the same time she was doing this to me. That's when I really got ticked off!

She seems to be contacting reputable breeders, as she wants the whole package as far as clearances and warantees go. I am posting this here because with the word spreading, she might begin to go further afield. I will not post her name on a public forum, but she is a female police officer from Montgomery Alabama searching for a drug dog. I will reply to private requests for her name. And I do have all the email messages sent during this time to support what I am saying. If she contacts you, be warned!