Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Info to share /Marley Movie/ Dalmatian Club Response

I received from the the Dalmatian Club of America's Public Education Committee a response to suggestion and informaton as to what they went through with 102 Dalmatian move when it came out.
Here is the reponse
"Your question has been forwarded to me as a member of the Dalmatian Club of America's Public Education Committee. Thank you for your interest in the Dalmatian.

The Dalmatian took a very hard hit from the release of the Disney movie 101 Dalmatians. Popularity soared and every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted one and wanted to breed one. The number of Dals in puppy mills was horrendous. The Dalmatian Club of America and all the regional clubs tried their best to make the Dal not sound as desirable, but that seemed to backfire on the breed when the media got hold of it. The media looked for every incidence of trouble with Dalmatians and reported on it. Much damage was done to a really good breed of dogs. The Breed is just starting to recover.

I caution you to please try to inform the public but be very careful on how you do so.

Here is a link to the statement the DCA had on it's website, sorry but the graphics are no longer there.
http://www.thedca.org/DCADisney.html

Also many of the regional clubs tried to have meet the breed events at local theaters so that the public could talk with knowledgable breeders and see exactly what the dogs are really like. A suggestion would be just to emphasize the difference between well bred dogs, and commercially bred dogs, and the importance of health testing breeding stock. Provide positive, realistic info. Let them know the right breeder will be available for help and advice for the lifetime of the dog. Encourage going to Obedience classes too.

Lab Rescue should be prepared for more Labs being turned over to rescue or shelters – a lively adolescent Lab pup can be a lot to manage.

Another thing that could happen to Labs might be a problem that Dals encountered. Too many people got Dals from the wrong places, buying commercially bred pups that were neither healthy nor of good temperament. The owners’ neighbors saw these pups, and decided they’d never have a Dal...

Finally, Breed handouts would be useful too

Hope some of this is of help, good luck.

Jacki McGovern
DCA Public Education"

I thought the idea of the handouts from regional club and possibly the National Breed club, and the idea of the local theatres was a great idea.