Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Illinois legislation fight - good info to use in your states

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST IN IT'S ENTIRETY

The ICKC/BCKC lobbyist was able to allow me to attend the meeting this past Wednesday with the Senators involved with SB 053, HSUS, ASPCA, ISVMA, Dept of Ag and their various attorneys and lobbyists. As a show breeder/exhibitor and dedicated rescue person, I was privileged to be able to stand up for the rights of hobby breeders in this state.

I wanted to convey to all of them the collateral damage done by legislation of this type. My comments were directed especially to the representatives of HSUS and the ASPCA, the authors and pushers of the bills. Here is a synopsis of what I told them.

"There is one aspect of all this new puppy mill legislation that you have not considered. When the ethical, responsible breeders are targeted and need to defend themselves against bills of this type we are forced to hire lobbyists that have the expertise to fight for our rights. This costs a lot of money and the result is that our clubs and members will not be able to purchase bullet-proof vests for our local canine units, supply animal oxygen masks for our firefighters to use to save dogs and cats, provide scholarships for our children who are learning about responsible dog care, and fund local humane societies that rely on our donations to care for all animals. None of this may be done this year because we are spending our money fighting the HSUS and ASPCA. You have finally awakened the hobby breeders and we will not sit by and let everything we live for die under unfair laws and restrictions."

I hope that all the clubs who have had to spend any amount of money in this fight keep a total of what we COULDN'T do for our dogs and communities. We should then send these lists to all the legislators, HSUS, ASPCA and to all the charitable organizations that WON'T be getting their donations this year.
Michele Kasten
Legislative Liaison, Belle City Kennel Club
Schipperke Club of Greater St. Louis Rescue Chair
President, Midwest Schipperke Rescue
www.midwestschipperkerescue.petfinder.com
www.schipperkeclub-usa.org
Victoria Schipperkes