Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Champion Balrion Weathertop Mr. Roberts (Dylan) his story

Mr Roberts (Dylan) was our pick dog from El Nino's last litter. We intended to keep him but I gave him to my friend Sung Jin in Korea when Dylan was about 14 months old.

Sung Jin was only 35 years old and was suddenly diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. He was a chemical engineer and very bright. He taught himself English so he could write to me and we wrote long letters to each other every day. When he died 3 years ago on June 21st Sung Jin asked that his laptop be cremated with him so he could write to me from Heaven.(He was a Christian.)

He wanted so much to have one of our dogs and dreamed of having the best Labradors in Korea. They only gave him 6 weeks to live but we sent Dylan to him and Sung Jin lived for a year with Dylan sleeping by his bed. He told me that Dylan loved him no matter how he looked or how bad he felt and that love made him want to live.

Sung Jin and I secretly bought a ticket on Korea Airline for Daniel and surprised him with a trip here on New Year’s Eve to pick up Dylan. When they met for the first time Dylan jumped into his arms and they were inseparable from that moment. I made a quilt for Sung Jin to wrap up in… the last quilt I made...and sent it home with Dylan and Daniel.

Dylan helped Daniel through the sad time after Sung Jin died. Sung Jin’s wife had been killed in a car accident two years before Sung Jin fell ill. When Sung Jin died he left his 5 year old daughter and she has now been adopted by Daniel. She calls Dylan her brother.

Sung Jin’s brother Daniel was the Vice President of the Korean LRC at that time. (He was our guest speaker in our Potomac seminar on Global Development of the Breed 2 years ago.) To the best of my knowledge Dylan was first British Lab in Korea with Hip, Elbow, Eye and Optigen clearance.

Two days before he died I made a promise to Sung Jin that I would do my best to teach Korean Labradors breeders how to breed for temperament, type and soundness. Dylan is now siring champions and is helping to improve the gene pool in Korea.

Recently Daniel told me that he would try to put aside his sorrow and begin to show Dylan.

Today Dylan became an FCI Champion.

It's a bitter-sweet day.The fulfilment of Sung Jin's last wish.

You may see photos of Dylan on www.balrion.com and on my Facebook page Saudjie Cross-Crook. The photos are open to all.