Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeder Links Page and Spotlight Ads

My Christmas gift to me this year is a brand new computer. Since I've been running the same Dell for the past 7 years, this is way over due.

The downside is that I am going to be up to my ears in transferring files, installing programs, and getting it up and running. I am not going to have time to run any new Spotlight Ads for January, but will be able to still do Specialty Updates, Results, Litter Listings and Link Renewals. I should have everything good to go for new Spotlight Ads by February.

As some of you may have noticed, the main page has been having some glitches and is taking way too long to load. I am also going to be addressing this problem and may give the page a long needed facelift.

I'd like to also take a moment to thank you all for your continuing support.

Happy Holidays to all,
Jill

Breeder Links Page and Spotlight Ads

My Christmas gift to me this year is a brand new computer. Since I've been running the same Dell for the past 7 years, this is way over due.

The downside is that I am going to be up to my ears in transferring files, installing programs, and getting it up and running. I am not going to have time to run any new Spotlight Ads for January, but will be able to still do Specialty Updates, Results, Litter Listings and Link Renewals. I should have everything good to go for new Spotlight Ads by February.

As some of you may have noticed, the main page has been having some glitches and is taking way too long to load. I am also going to be addressing this problem and may give the page a long needed facelift.

I'd like to also take a moment to thank you all for your continuing support.

Happy Holidays to all,
Jill

Re: Breeder Links Page and Spotlight Ads

You are doing a great job Jill and enjoy that new Xmas present. Thanks for all of your hard work

Thanks Jill for all that you do for us! Merry Christmas and enjoy the new computer!

Perhaps the January Spotlight could be of Jill. Head down & butt up transferring files etc onto the new 'puter. lol

Jill, I was in the same boat.... running a Dell since 2003. Mine was limited in memory capacity (1 GB) and was locking up on me lately. I desperately wanted to move to a new system, but dreaded the thought of reloading software and transferring data.

I'm happy to say though, I made the move to a new HP with Windows 7 Professional OS about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty painless! I used LapLink PC Mover to transfer software and data. I think there were only 2 programs I had to manual reload.

I went with the Windows 7 Professional" version since it has XP Mode capability and I wasn't sure if some of my older programs would be Windows 7 compatible. Fortunately most were though. Only problem is some of my printer drivers (I use 3 printers) weren't so I had to use Windows generic drivers. I was able to load those printer's original drivers in XP Mode though, and decided to load my photo editing programs in XP Mode because I wanted to be able to print using the printer manufacturer's original drivers.

I will say I am not computer technically savvey... but it really was pretty easy using LapLink's PC Mover Professional (which even comes with the USB transfer cable), just have to make sure to read the directions fully and follow them to the T. It even tells you how many software programs you will be transferring over (think I had 32). I thought it was worth the price, saved me lots of time and also the expense of taking the old and new PC to a shop to have programs and data moved over, which I did back in 2003 and it cost me about $200 and they had my systems for about a week. I had everything moved over to the new system this time, up and running in one weekend!

Just wanted to give all a heads up on what I think a good product for anyone else in same situation! I have no affiliation with the company.

You do a great job with all you provide us! Thank you!

Val