Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grooming ( Furminator

Has anyone used this product for grooming their dog's?

Re: Grooming ( Furminator

I do not recommend you use this on your Labrador. The Furminator has a razor blade behind the teeth of the comb and actually cuts hair as you brush.
I own a grooming shop and we do not use them, period!
This topic has also been discussed in the past. Type in the search box and you can see the past posts.

Yes. It works. Get the large size. It really gets the undercoat out. Bought mine on Amazon.com for way less than the pet store.

I use it on the dogs that are not showing.
It gets out the undercoat very well
but
I don't use it on dogs I have in the ring, it also cuts the outer coat.

I borrowed one to try and one of my retired bitches - I really didn't like the way it cut the coat, and I didn't think it did any better job than the rake I normally use.

furminator
I use it on the dogs that are not showing.
It gets out the undercoat very well
but
I don't use it on dogs I have in the ring, it also cuts the outer coat.

Ditto. I use it heavily on my Performance Dog, but not on my Bitch I show in Breed. It does cut the Top Coat, so go easy and use light strokes. No need for Pressure.

I echo what Shannon stated. My mom is a groomer and she refuses to use furminator type tools because it damages the coat and there is increased risk of damage to the skin. She suggests using a good undercoat rake instead...I have found they are actually more efficient than the Furminator type tools and do not damage the top coats.

Here is the one I use...http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming-Tools/Combs-Brushes-Rakes/Rakes/Oster-Pet-Grooming-Undercoat-Rakes/pc/214/c/276/sc/480/45156.uts