Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big P Health Clinic

As it begins soon, I hope to see some of the good results of the health clinic, especially echo dopplers posted........ Results are available immediately after the examination.

The cardiologist is a super board-certified cardiologist. I've used him and was pleased with how thorough he is. If they fill the minimum 20 spots, that will be a go. It wasn't at 20 last week. Hoping those no's changed. It would be sad to miss all of the dopplers for lack of only 20 total needing a echo-doppler heart clearance.

Are some breeders doing OFA pre-lim hips-elbows 1st? They should still have the echo-doppler even if breeding before age 2. I don't do that so I don't know what others do 1st when not waiting for a minimum age of 2 for breeding.

Fyi_As per the 3 cardiologists I spoke to in 2010, for the echo-doppler to be a true clearance..... your dog must be 12 mo's or older. For a basic screening, the pup can be younger but it must be repeated at 1 year or later to be a final, real clearance. I'm not doing 1 pup at this clinic who is 11 months b/c he isn't old enough for it be accept'd as a final echo-doppler clearance. We miss it by under 3 weeks....... aargh.

The cardiologists said if I want the true, final clearance, we must wait on our under a year boy. I was told not to bother with auscultation, too much is missed when done without a doppler.

So, if a clinic in the VA, MD, PA area is available in mid-2010, can someone please post it? TIA.